HDMI Capture Device w/colored bars

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
Attila

HDMI Capture Device w/colored bars

Post by Attila »

Our Stake Center has a permanent camera with equipment closet. I'm using a HDMI to USB capture device plugged into my laptop. If I connect to the HDMI-out in the closet all is well and good.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WhT9HV ... sp=sharing

We also have an HDMI-out on the side of the podium. I know that it works because I can plug a TV into it and get the camera video. However if I connect with the laptop all I get is colored bars like there is no signal - which I KNOW there is.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ca6uOs ... sp=sharing

What am I missing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: HDMI Capture Device w/colored bars

Post by russellhltn »

Just guessing, but a couple of ideas:

- The signal is too weak. The TV might pick it up, but the long cable may drop the signal enough that the capture card won't work with it. You might try adding a splitter to see if it will bring the signal level up.

- I believe HDMI allows for the two devices to negotiate a mutually agreeable format. However, I wouldn't expect a splitter to be able to output a different standard for each device. Probably only the device plugged into the first port of the splitter can negotiate a standard with the source (the camera), and everyone else gets what they get. It's possible that at the rack, the computer can negotiate, but not out at the podium.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Attila

Re: HDMI Capture Device w/colored bars

Post by Attila »

@russellhltn that was the issue - too far away. I've got a 100' HDMI cable that I plugged into the equipment closet and got nothing, but a shorter cable got me the picture. Looks like my next purchase is a booster.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”