Windows 11

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mmacconnell

Windows 11

Post by mmacconnell »

Anyone know if there are any concerns or direction of it we should upgrade the Clerk's computers to Windows 11. I know that Windows 10 will be going to end of life soon.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 11

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not aware of any directive.

Windows 10 will continue for a few years. The end date is listed as Oct 2025.

I'd stay on 10 for now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelblairklingler

Post by michaelblairklingler »

I believe Windows 11 requires hardware with a Trusted Platform Module. Most clerk computers currently in use do not have this hardware.

From Tom's Guide:

After initially claiming that Windows 11 won't work on a PC without a TPM 2.0 (or Trusted Platform Module), Microsoft has now confirmed to Tom's Guide that the OS actually requires only the older, much more common TPM 1.2 module — but also that if you install Windows 11 on a machine without a TPM 2.0 chip, you'll be taking a risk.

According to the latest reporting and what we've heard directly from Microsoft, you can indeed install Windows 11 on older PCs that don't meet the Windows 11 system requirements. On those machines, Windows 11 will run in an "unsupported state" that may cause you to miss out on important security fixes and Windows updates.
Last edited by michaelblairklingler on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelblairklingler wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:19 pm I believe Windows 11 requires hardware with a Trusted Platform Module. Most clerk computers currently in use do not have this hardware.
Clerk computers shouldn't be much older than 5 years. As such, I think most of them can run Windows 11.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmon

Post by dmon »

When I talked to GHD on 8-23-2022 I asked if it was okay to install Windows 11 while installing a new PC. I was told that Windows 11 was not yet supported and to continue using Windows 10. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Return to “Clerk Computers”