Need for new translation equipment

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
BrianEdwards

Need for new translation equipment

Post by BrianEdwards »

Our unit and Stake have decided it is (well past) time to update our translation equipment. The current units are very old, don't reliably receive the transmission, and full of static. Before starting down the road of requesting new headsets et al, has anyone recently gone thru an upgrade that could provide input?

Perhaps the Church has a single solution so all we need to do is ask, and we'll get whatever is the only thing available. Or perhaps there's pro's and con's to what type of equipment we might receive, which would be helpful to know as we begin this process. I would expect that what the Church currently provides/supports in 2022 is much better than the equipment we have that's past its prime, but perhaps the new equipment also suffers from the same types of limitations.

We don't know what we don't know, and our Stake people likewise don't have info. Hence my question. Gracias!
BrianEdwards

Re: Need for new translation equipment

Post by BrianEdwards »

As an aside, we have a dual-language unit, with about 60% of the members speaking both languages, and the other 40% varying from some understanding of the other language, to zero. And we hope to order enough headsets so that when a speaker talks in one language, those that don't understand that language have the option to use the headsets and hear the translator. Then if the next speaker talks in the other language, the members who need translation for that language would have a headset they could use for that talk. So we potentially have a good number of members each week using headsets, and we would like to have good equipment that doesn't disrupt anyone's spiritual experience.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This is something that needs to be taken up with FM. I'm not sure what the church provides. It might simply be the current model of the old system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danhjarup

Post by danhjarup »

Have you considered using the church provided Zoom accounts? It includes multiple audio channels intended for translation.
We've used it in our stake a few times and it works really well.
With this option you can have the translator seated anywhere in the world and the same goes for those listening to the translation which they can pick up on for example their own devices in the chapel. In that case it would be important for the listeners to use some kind of headphones or earbuds. The solution is very flexible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danhjarup wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:15 pm Have you considered using the church provided Zoom accounts? It includes multiple audio channels intended for translation.
I believe OP is talking about translation for people attending in-person meetings. Typically it involves a transmitter in the hands of a translator and receivers used by members who need the translation. It operates in the same radio service as the assisted listening devices used by the hard of hearing.

While Zoom is an option for webcasts, I doubt if it's a good option for in-person needs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danhjarup

Post by danhjarup »

Traditionally that is how translation has been done in the past.
Like I mentioned we have actually had good success using Zoom for in-person meetings as well.
This is of course only a good option when the listeners have their own Zoom enabled devices, decent internet service, and headphones/earbuds.
Depending on the type meeting and general demographics of those attending, it may be an option for OP. ;)

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”