Page 1 of 1

Need for new translation equipment

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:01 pm
by BrianEdwards
Our unit and Stake have decided it is (well past) time to update our translation equipment. The current units are very old, don't reliably receive the transmission, and full of static. Before starting down the road of requesting new headsets et al, has anyone recently gone thru an upgrade that could provide input?

Perhaps the Church has a single solution so all we need to do is ask, and we'll get whatever is the only thing available. Or perhaps there's pro's and con's to what type of equipment we might receive, which would be helpful to know as we begin this process. I would expect that what the Church currently provides/supports in 2022 is much better than the equipment we have that's past its prime, but perhaps the new equipment also suffers from the same types of limitations.

We don't know what we don't know, and our Stake people likewise don't have info. Hence my question. Gracias!

Re: Need for new translation equipment

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:07 pm
by BrianEdwards
As an aside, we have a dual-language unit, with about 60% of the members speaking both languages, and the other 40% varying from some understanding of the other language, to zero. And we hope to order enough headsets so that when a speaker talks in one language, those that don't understand that language have the option to use the headsets and hear the translator. Then if the next speaker talks in the other language, the members who need translation for that language would have a headset they could use for that talk. So we potentially have a good number of members each week using headsets, and we would like to have good equipment that doesn't disrupt anyone's spiritual experience.

Re: Need for new translation equipment

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:52 pm
by russellhltn
This is something that needs to be taken up with FM. I'm not sure what the church provides. It might simply be the current model of the old system.