Endless Sophos Loop

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Re: Endless Sophos Loop

Post by drepouille »

I called the GSD this afternoon, and asked the agent if I should be concerned if Sophos is installed and running on a brand new clerk computer. The GSD agent asked me to explain what Sophos is and what it does. *sigh*

Then he asked me to open Control Panel (not the Settings app), and uninstall all the Sophos components in the list. I told him that only the Sophos Agent appeared in the list of applications, although there are many Sophos processes and services running in Task Manager. Then he told me to "End Task" each one in Task Manager. Access denied. Then he asked me to run the Services app and disable all Sophos services. Access denied. Then he asked me to go to the Microsoft article, "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed".

I reminded him that this is a new clerk computer, freshly installed and provisioned. He was very surprised. So I told him that the computer is running fine, so I was happy to leave it as is.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:48 pm So I told him that the computer is running fine, so I was happy to leave it as is.
Yep, my course of action also. I'm a bit concerned with all the extra licensing the church is paying needlessly for (assuming it's billed per PC).
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:48 pm The GSD agent asked me to explain what Sophos is and what it does. *sigh*
Sounds like you got a newbie. I hope GSD hasn't transitioned to service missionaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Not exactly sure when it happened, but Sophos has been silently removed from all the clerk machines in my stake. [Happy dance!]

Return to “Clerk Computers”