Missionary Donations Account Wrong--Local Clerk Not Helpful

Discussions about other Church websites
roderickson

Missionary Donations Account Wrong--Local Clerk Not Helpful

Post by roderickson »

Hi,

I am trying to figure out who I speak with to get a problem fixed. I am a full-time missionary serving with my wife in the Virginia Richmond Mission. In the membership portion, my wife and I are both listed as full-time missionaries. I used to pay my donations via bill pay because I lived in Japan and in Morocco. Since I have been the U.S., I pay solely online.

Every month, I pay our $1,400, and I get a warning that I am paying too much. In the drop-down menu, ONLY my name is listed--NOT my name and my wife's name. I sent a note to our Ward Clerk and our Finance Clerk, with no response, so I talked to our Bishop, who happens to be my neighbor. He could see a potential cause (two accounts), and the Bishop combined them. However, it is still not correct. This is frustrating because my wife is every bit the missionary I am.

Who can I call for help? I feel like records in the church should be accurate, so I think this needs a fix. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Rod
eblood66

Re: Missionary Donations Account Wrong--Local Clerk Not Helpful

Post by eblood66 »

I'm afraid you're going to have to get the clerk and/or bishop of your home ward to address it. They may need to contact the global service department or missionary department to get things straightened out. The missionary account is the responsibility of the ward, not the missionary (even if the missionary or family pay into it), so the headquarters will generally only work with a clerk or bishop.

I'm not exactly sure what the bishop did. The unit has no direct control over Ward Missionary sub-categories. Those are created and removed by headquarters. So he couldn't directly combine Ward Missionary Fund accounts. Perhaps there he saw something that was incorrect in the missionary online recommendation system and corrected it there. But if so, that may not automatically correct the missionary accounts. The ward may have to contact support as well.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Donations can only be tagged to a single person. That may be the reason you only see yourself when making the donation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:00 pm Donations can only be tagged to a single person. That may be the reason you only see yourself when making the donation.
Right. The donor can only be one person, not a couple.

But I think OP is trying to donate to his own senior missionary account and wants to see both names on the Ward Missionary sub-account. As far as I know, the names on the sub-account is set by headquarters. The ward has no control.

Hopefully a clerk who has a senior missionary couple serving could let us know what the sub-account looks like.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:26 pm Hopefully a clerk who has a senior missionary couple serving could let us know what the sub-account looks like.
It is as you stated. Only one name appears and it is the brother's.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

What about the warning the OP describes? I understand the sub-account only has one name, but is that what's causing the warning message about donating too much? Or is that unrelated?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I've never heard of any automated message about donating too much. Without more details it's hard to know what that means.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:52 pm I've never heard of any automated message about donating too much. Without more details it's hard to know what that means.
I haven't either. It might be a warning if you attempt to donate more than a month's worth at a time. Since he's trying to donate for the two of them and only his name is on the account, that might trigger something.

Also, this is a missionary account for a senior, so it might play by different rules.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Websites”