Add a non-member spouse's preferred name?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mprusse

Add a non-member spouse's preferred name?

Post by mprusse »

I've had some members request a preferred name be listed for their spouse rather than a full name. I hesitate to change their full name since that's a record of the marriage so I'm not sure how to handle this. Any ideas? Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Add a non-member spouse's preferred name?

Post by russellhltn »

There are two names on the membership record: the full legal name and the preferred name.

I'm sure that in the case of a marriage between two members, the name comes from the membership record, so you can't change just that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Perhaps the OP was referring to a non-member spouse?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:46 am Perhaps the OP was referring to a non-member spouse?
Well, yes. The subject line would tend to indicate that. :oops:

I share OPs reluctance to use preferred name for the marriage record. Perhaps the preferred name can be put into quotes, for example Elizabeth "Lizzy" Smith.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Guess I was temporarily blinded by the light of the two member example :cry:

I know familysearch.org does not like "names." It shows up as an error, although there is a way on familysearch to put in a nickname or known as name a ways below the actual name field. Don't know if the LCR field will allow special characters or not. Well, just tried it and it does, but since it is not a legal name, it kind of violates the prime directive, to always use legal names. Your mileage may vary.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:16 pm Well, just tried it and it does, but since it is not a legal name, it kind of violates the prime directive, to always use legal names. Your mileage may vary.
You're referring to General Handbook 33.6.1:
Names Used in Church Records
A person’s full legal name, as defined by local law or custom, should be used in membership records and on ordinance certificates.
I'd say there's room for interpretation on if the "nickname" can be included. It may be worth a phone call to a relevant authority.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My personal opinion only: When I was ward clerk, I didn't worry much about complying with member requests to show their preferred name as long as it was reasonable. My legal name is David but if you ask me, I will tell you "my friends call me Dave."

If a family calls their child a title (such as "Bubba" for example), I wouldn't put that as their preferred name, but I think a common shortened version is OK (Will or Bill for William, etc). You aren't changing their legal name in the other field - just what shows to other members on rolls and in Member Tools.

I could be wrong, but I think FamilySearch perfers to put the nickname after an "or" thus: William or Bill Smith
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

We're all getting far afield here now, the original topic was regarding a non-member spouse's preferred name. As far as phone calls, sometimes calling the GSC is like calling the IRS, you get that person's opinion unfortunately, as every possible scenario is not in their system as a question and answer. But perhaps the original poster could make that call.

ps Bubba is not necessarily a title, there are folks in the South with that as an actual legal name. Now, Duke of Earl would be a title, probably. :roll:

Return to “Membership Help”