Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
RyanGard1977

Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Hi folks, I wanted to run something by you for your thoughts, as I have a few ideas on what might be causing the issue but would appreciate your thoughts.

I have a building where we are frequently seeing this message on the computers tied into the building LAN. Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Generally when this happens, we have to reset the equipment and then everything works well. We do not encounter this issue for Wifi/Access Points, just the hardwired stuff. We can continue to access websites and what not using wifi so we know it is not a ISP issue coming from the modem. (unless it really is?) Thoughts?

We have the MX64 firewall feeding A MS120- 8 port. I and church global services support have verified we have the MS120 configured right-

We are utilizing Ports 5 and 6 as public (No FHC) with port 5 feeding a 24 port un-managed router/switch (which will be replaced soon with a MS120 24 port managed.
I have installed a temporary switch utilizing port 6 which now feeds the 4 clerk's office jacks to see if I can get around the "Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration" issue. I think I may be onto something here but I need a few more days to verify.

Port 7 is currently disabled
Port 8 is set up for Facilities which they have connected to a separate 4 port switch to take care of key fob and HVAC monitor systems.

I'm thinking the 24 port un-managed switch may be the culprit here? Or do you think it might be something else?

Thank you for your time and comments.
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Post by russellhltn »

The fact you call it a "24 port un-managed router/switch" bothers me. It's that "router" part. Depending on how it's connected, it most certainly can cause a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

<sigh> I typed up a nice long reply and probably didn't hit the right button to submit. Not a great way to start off the week.

My apologies for the incorrect reference. It would be correctly referred to as a switch, not router.
We have the following:
1. 8 Port Meraki MS120 (managed) being fed from the firewall.
2. 24 Port Netgear (unmanaged) that feeds all the ethernet wall jacks in the building save for what is listed below- being fed from port 5 Public on the MS120 8 port
3. 16 port Cisco (unmanned) which I installed the other day, that is dedicated to the 3 ward clerk's offices and the stake clerk's office (they didn't run into any trouble on Sunday when I did this on Saturday so that is promising) Fed from port six- Public on the MS120
4. a 4 port Linksys something unmanaged that feeds the facilities equipment (HVAC & key fob reader) fed from Port 8 on the MS120.

In 2 of the Clerk's offices, we have old netgear 4 or 5 port switches so that they can connect up to a copier, printer, and their own wifi router. (That's another issue I will work on addressing later but needless to say, the Stake President and the Bishop do indeed utilize the wifi to access the printers/copiers right now) but the switches in these offices are fed directly from the wall jack and do not have anything going into the back of the ward/stake owned wifi router except the network feed to it. I will be replacing these old switches with newer units to be able to have a clean slate here.

Interested in what you might have to say at this point, hopefully I cleaned things up enough to make sense. But my 1st goal is to get the 24 port Meraki MS120 8FP installed in conjunction with the existing MS120-8FP (so i'll need multiple SFPs obviously)

I plan on keeping the WAPs/Access points on ports 1-4 of the 8 port MS120 and am going to eliminate the old Cisco power injectors that they are currently running to save for the correct type of power injector for the upstairs access point. We shouldn't need those old power injectors for these newer ceiling mounted wireless units and the available PoE power being put out by the MS120s and it is my understanding that the old power injectors can cause issues as well.

Please let me know what you think. Always good to double check.

Thank you

Ryan
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd work on eliminating all routers except the firewall itself. Incorrectly connected, you can end up getting two DHCP servers on the same network. It's possible one of those routers are connected as a switch and offering DHCP service to the upstream network and not just its downstream subnet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Russell, thank you for the info and for teaching me. I honestly was not aware that could cause a problem so I appreciate that and I am going to look into it and report back.
Ryan Gardner
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Russell- in your opinion, can a switch such as the 24 port unmanaged Linksys in this situation also be the cause of messing around with the IP configuration if no other switches or routers are connected to it?
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RyanGard1977 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:28 pm Russell- in your opinion, can a switch such as the 24 port unmanaged Linksys in this situation also be the cause of messing around with the IP configuration if no other switches or routers are connected to it?
If nothing else is connected to it, there's no "upstream" to send the traffic. Nor would there be a DHCP server (provided by the firewall) to issue IP addresses.

RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Ok thank you.
Ryan Gardner

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”