Can I kick connected devices off of the Liahona Network?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jihnen1982

Can I kick connected devices off of the Liahona Network?

Post by jihnen1982 »

So I am the STS and attempting to get some new cameras working in the Chapel to broadcast our meetings. When I come to the chapel during the week, I am able to connect to the network, and run all my tests successfully and without issue. On Sunday, while attempting to broadcast our meeting, the network connection is extremely slow and I am unable to get a good broadcast. I have been able to determine that there are significantly more devices connected to the network on Sunday, which is eating up my Upload speeds. I have disabled the SSID broadcast for the Liahona network, yet there are still devices connected. I have not found a way to prevent these people from connecting, or a way to completely disable the WIFI. Here is my setup:

Download Speed: 75 Mbps
Upload Speed: 8 Mbps
Software in use: OBS, Zoom, Chrome

Our building is very old and cannot handle higher network speeds. I need to ONLY have my computer and the cameras online during Sacrament. I would appreciate any suggestions or instruction on this. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can I kick connected devices off of the Liahona Network?

Post by russellhltn »

If you've disabled Lithonia and they're still connected, that suggests you have a rogue WiFi somewhere.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jihnen1982

Post by jihnen1982 »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:31 am If you've disabled Lithonia and they're still connected, that suggests you have a rogue WiFi somewhere.
It is my understanding that disabling the SSID broadcast prevents new connections, but the currently connected devices will remain online until their lease expires. I'm hoping there is a way to completely disable the WIFI. I was thinking I may need to unplug the APs during Sacrament to force all connections off. My laptop and the cameras are hardwired to the switch, so the required devices would remain online.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:31 am If you've disabled Lithonia and they're still connected, that suggests you have a rogue WiFi somewhere.
What's Lithonia?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jihnen1982 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:48 am It is my understanding that disabling the SSID broadcast prevents new connections, but the currently connected devices will remain online until their lease expires.
That theory might be worth testing.

I think what is more likely is the list of devices is the list of leases - they won't disappear until the lease expires and is not renewed. I would expect turning off the SSID would indeed shut off access, but the list will not reflect that until the lease expires.

I say this because a list of leases is easy - just pull it from the DHCP, but determining who is connected is going to be a bit harder. Especially since authorized devices may create and break a connection at whim.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:27 pm What's Lithonia?
Autocorrect failure

swigginton

Post by swigginton »

If you turn off Liahona, devices with a physical ethernet connection (clerk computer, printer, etc.) are still on the network and will show up on the connected list. Also, Wi-Fi-connected connected devices seem to remain on the list for a while after they are disconnected. Not sure about the lease extending after shutting down. That would be interesting (and not very helpful).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Are you hard wired? Do you have people on Lehi who might still be interfering? Lehi uses the same Internet bandwidth. I cleared out Liahona one time but enough leaders were Zooming on Lehi that I also had to shut that one down.
craigkehl

Post by craigkehl »

My experience has been when you schedule the Liahona network to be shut off, it's almost immediate. You don't have to wait for leases to expire.

I have also had to ask a bishopric to remove a personal router with WiFi that they connected to their Clerk's office hardline.

What used to kill my upload and damaged my meeting quality was where a device would sync with a cloud account. iCloud, OneDrive, and GooglePhotos are a few examples. They are often set to only sync when connected to a non-metered internet connection. So, a member can be totally unaware that all their pictures from their kid's soccer tournament are using 10Mbps of upload when they connect to the network. Unfortunately, the only remedy I am aware of is that you have to get the message out to everyone to update their settings. They need to set the Liahona network to be a metered connection and set their apps to not upload on metered connections. Also, let them know to pause their syncing with cloud apps while they are at church. It was a pain to get everyone on board, but now it's rare that our meeting quality suffers. Since then, I have only needed to kill the Liahona network once, and it was during our last Stake Conference general meeting.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Sounds familiar! Last week a sister asked me for the Liahona password. As soon as her iPad connected to Liahona, it started to download an iOs update. And that is exactly why Liahona displays a ToS screen.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”