Bishopric member cannot submit own reimburesment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
MikeClark

Re: Bishopric member cannot submit own reimburesment

Post by MikeClark »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:59 am
MikeClark wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:36 am One way that our stake president gets around this is to have his wife submit the reimbursement request. I suspect the bishop could get around this the same way. Of course, he should probably not approve the expense, but only have his counselors or a clerk approve it.
Only ward or stake leaders are able to submit reimbursement requests. I suspect that your stake president's wife may be in a leadership calling.
Actually, I hadn't looked at this closely enough -- our stake president submits the request with his wife as the recipient. And he hasn't been using the "payment request" option, but the direct expense option in LCR/F.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

MikeClark wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:24 amActually, I hadn't looked at this closely enough -- our stake president submits the request with his wife as the recipient. And he hasn't been using the "payment request" option, but the direct expense option in LCR/F.
I've seen a lot of that over the years. In the old days, a bishop or stake president would ask the clerk to make a check payable to his wife, so he could sign the check. That always made me wonder.

It's kind of a gray area for auditors. I think it's OK for reimbursements from budget, but perhaps not from Fast Offerings. especially if the leader's family is receiving assistance.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

t's kind of a gray area for auditors. I think it's OK for reimbursements from budget
Continuing to veer slightly away from the OP :D
One thing I see now is that with the Bishop as the YM President (and no more YM Presidency), he is much more directly involved in potential YM and Youth budget expenditures. Especially in smaller units where there might not be any YM Advisers, a rotation between the Bishopric (aka YM Presidency) members for expenditures can lead to the Bishop needing to be reimbursed more often than before. I agree with the principle that it's better if the Bishop isn't requesting reimbursement for expenses, and that Fast Offerings reimbursements to the Bishop should be only for emergency expenditures that couldn't be handled by another leader. But that's why auditors get the fun job of reviewing what's going on...
mills

Post by mills »

As things are setup this month... the bishop can submit from the tools ap on the phone or ipad type device and then it is available for two others to review and approve. Problem solved. I just finished review 8 submissions from my bishop doing this

Return to “Local Unit Finance”