Accidentally reissued youth temple recommend

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mkmurray

Accidentally reissued youth temple recommend

Post by mkmurray »

We had scheduled a youth temple recommend interview for last week that ended up getting bumped to this week. Our bishop had already issued the recommend and printed it in anticipation of the interview. He kept his paper printout and used it this week. However, I was unaware that it was already issued and printed (and apparently I didn't read the screen prompts closely enough to notice), and so I reissued and printed as well.

My concern is that I have invalidated the previously valid recommend and the one in the hands of the youth is no longer functioning should she go to use it. Even though they are essentially for the same member within the same month performed by the bishop only a week apart. Do we know if each issued and printed out barcode are unique to confirm my concern? Do I need to get the newly issued one into the hands of the youth to replace the current one?

Thanks for your guidance and help on this debacle I have caused. :)
BrianEdwards

Re: Accidentally reissued youth temple recommend

Post by BrianEdwards »

The screen-prompt instructions do state that "Reprinting recommends for proxy baptisms and confirmations is only allowed on the day the recommend was originally printed." So I expect that the newly-printed recommend is the only valid recommend, otherwise I'm not sure why they would put this business-rule in place. But perhaps you could have this youth be a test-case, and have them try the 'old' recommend at the temple, and then let us know if it actually worked! ;)

Another thing I've noticed is that in LCR there's now a "Recommend Activations" link under the Membership=>Temple dropdown. This shows those members awaiting activation and those recently activated, with the timestamp of the activation (of the Stake for regular recommends, or ward/branch for youth), and date printed. Looks like a helpful way for leaders to possibly avoid duplication (although I'm not sure if just Bishops can see this, or also counselors, and also clerk?).
marshallkl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by marshallkl »

The awaiting activation should be the Adult recommends to the stake.
The current recommend is the only one that will work. So you'll want to make sure to communicate that with the youth.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

So if I can summarize, adult recommends go through a pending activation flow where it needs to be finished by the stake after appropriate interviews are done. But youth recommends are activated the very second they are issued and printed from LCR and it voids the previous one immediately.

In my particular case, I need to let the youth know to come get the new signed recommend as the one in their possession is presumably not going to
work should they attempt to use it.

If my understanding is not correct, please feel free to correct. Thank you all!
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

I think the youth recommend has to be physically signed by a bishopric member too if I recall correctly, as well as the youth's signature.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

garystroble wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:55 am I think the youth recommend has to be physically signed by a bishopric member too if I recall correctly, as well as the youth's signature.
Yes that is correct. You issue it and print it from LCR, and then the recommend is signed by both a bishopric member and the youth as you mentioned.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

mkmurray wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:40 pmMy concern is that I have invalidated the previously valid recommend and the one in the hands of the youth is no longer functioning should she go to use it. Even though they are essentially for the same member within the same month performed by the bishop only a week apart. Do we know if each issued and printed out barcode are unique to confirm my concern? Do I need to get the newly issued one into the hands of the youth to replace the current one?
Yes, get her the new one. The old one was cancelled when you reprinted the new recommend.
BirleyMan

Post by BirleyMan »

I belive every reference to "youth recomend" would apply to adults that are not endowed and have a recomend for Proxy Baptisms and Confirmations (formerly called "Limited Use recomends")

Return to “Membership Help”