My account got hacked

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: My account got hacked

Post by rmrichesjr »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:45 am I'm sure it is, but it still bothers me on principle. I can't find out the status of the breach without giving sensitive information to yet another party.
Ditto. As I just read the email message that appeared to say my data _was_ leaked, I think I'll avoid the third-party page.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:45 am
ch15154 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:07 am I’m assuming that TrustArc is a third party computer security company the Church is working with regarding the data intrusion.
I'm sure it is, but it still bothers me on principle. I can't find out the status of the breach without giving sensitive information to yet another party.
You could always call the phone number. From the Newsroom statement it seems they hacked the Church Account system and got the information that was entered there. I wonder how they decided who actually got hacked. I did not get an email.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

lajackson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 pm ... I did not get an email.
In the interest of trying to find a little humor in a possible collision of two tech issues, I wonder if those email messages are being sent out via the Send-a-Message facility. :-)
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

rmrichesjr wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:34 pm
lajackson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 pm ... I did not get an email.
In the interest of trying to find a little humor in a possible collision of two tech issues, I wonder if those email messages are being sent out via the Send-a-Message facility. :-)
Just think of us who won't get the email to go to Missouri when the time comes too . . . :roll:
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

garystroble wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:38 pm Just think of us who won't get the email to go to Missouri when the time comes too . . . :roll:
Let's hope this forum is still up and working at that time and that the first person who DOES receive the message posts about it here. :-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 pm From the Newsroom statement it seems they hacked the Church Account system and got the information that was entered there. I wonder how they decided who actually got hacked.
I assume they follow the logs. It may be more detailed then we think. They may have auditing in place to catch employees looking up stuff they shouldn't.

lajackson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 pm I did not get an email.
Nor did I.

rmrichesjr wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:34 pm In the interest of trying to find a little humor in a possible collision of two tech issues, I wonder if those email messages are being sent out via the Send-a-Message facility. :-)
Humor noted, but I do get my Ward's weekly email...
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rmrichesjr wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:34 pm In the interest of trying to find a little humor in a possible collision of two tech issues, I wonder if those email messages are being sent out via the Send-a-Message facility. :-)
I still get those. I think . . .
russellhltn wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:16 pm They may have auditing in place to catch employees looking up stuff they shouldn't.
I doubt that an employee was the cause of this breach. But I do know there is auditing in place and that it works.
(Don't ask, but it was not me. I was merely assigned to interview a member of interest.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:05 am I doubt that an employee was the cause of this breach.
I didn't mean to imply anything like that, just one of the reasons why it was there. I've had to dig deeper into SQL than I've wanted to go. If you throw all the right switches, it will record every query made. I think the church is a Oracle shop (or at least was), but I'd expect Oracle to have the same. With logging at that level, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out what was retrieved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:16 pm
lajackson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26 pm I did not get an email.
Nor did I.
It turns out we both got the email - but gmail filed it in the spam folder.

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:30 pm It turns out we both got the email - but gmail filed it in the spam folder.
Am I the only one who has received multiple such messages to the exact same email address?

Return to “Church Account”