Point of Contact for checking family wellbeing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
tsuckow

Point of Contact for checking family wellbeing

Post by tsuckow »

I'm not a member of the church but my best friend asked me years ago after the birth of his daughter that I should look after her should he ever be unable.

The daughter and mother were both last known to be in Ukraine. The mothers facebook account understandably seems to be have been deactivated and is not responding to email.

Does anyone know of a point of contact for either trying to check in on their wellbeing, or at least where I could provide my contact information to the church so that if the family needs something I can do what I can (legal documents, travel visas, etc)?

Regards,
Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Point of Contact for checking family wellbeing

Post by russellhltn »

Sorry, I don't know of any such place to direct you.

My training in emergency communications suggests you'll need to wait for them to contact you. It is very hard to get a message into a disaster area. All normal lines of communications may be disrupted. People may not bet at home. They would have difficulty in finding her. That effort needed would be competing with all the other urgent tasks they're facing. In fact, many times stations will refuse to accept any incoming message if they do not have a way to forward the message.

On the other hand, it's far easier to get a message out of a disaster area. She can use whatever communication is available in the shelter she's at to get a message out. That's why it's always advised to have a "out of area" contact for family to communicate with during times of disaster.

You might check this page from the Red Cross for other tips. You can also check with other organizations actively working with Ukraine. They might have some kind of registration page for getting in contact or unification.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”