Getting Video From Podium to Switcher

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
RichPhillips

Getting Video From Podium to Switcher

Post by RichPhillips »

I swear I posted this topic on Mar 16, but now cannot find any record of it. So, here goes again.

For Stake conference, we often have speakers who want to present a slideshow and/or videos. In the past, we have been able to feed the projector with vga and audio, and loop it out of the projector into the vga connector on the side of the podium. From the podium connector, the video signal goes thriugh an extron transmitter/receiver and cat 5 cable to the extron video switcher in the tech room at the rear of the chapel. Nesrly all laptops/notebooks/etc now have hdmi video out and speakers waant to use their devices. With the profusion of software and operating systems, my old Dell laptop with vga out can no longer meet the need.

We have tried several different brand hdmi to vga/audio adapters to convert the hdmi out from speakers devices. The projection is good, but the vga video output of the swicher from the converter varies from torn to black screen. The same result comes from looping it out of the projector as connecting the converter direct to the podium connector. I tried using a powered hdmi splitter to increase the signal, but same result.

Has anyone had this problem? Found a solution? I am not sure if this is a connection problem, a vga transmitter/receiver problem, or a switcher problem.
Has anyone found a way to upgrade the transmisssion of video from the podium to the switcher to hdmi or sdi?

Looking for some suggestions before I turn it over to the FM group.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Getting Video From Podium to Switcher

Post by Mikerowaved »

The only thing that comes to mind is either the Extron VGA extender or your HDMI to VGA adapter might be limited in total bitrate. Did you try switching the notebook to lower resolutions/frame rates, like 720p/30, or even 640x480, just to see if you could get a signal through?

Our recent A/V upgrade included Extron HDMI inputs at the pulpit and rear of the chapel, so I don't have direct experience with VGA extenders.

BTW, working with your FM might be the best solution.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

You can replace the Extron VGA converters on each end of your CAT5e/CAT6 cable with HD-BaseT HDMI converters like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M2BFKD.

These HD-BaseT HDMI converters will send any resolution up to 1080P in realtime (no delay) along with audio, RS232, and IR signals. The transmitter has a HDMI loopout connection for your projector. The units use POC (power over cable) so you can power both the transmitter and receiver from one power supply on either end. They are spec'ed to use CAT5e or CAT6 cable up to 500ft. If you only have CAT5 cable they MAY still work as your distance is much less than 500ft - however, Extron sometimes uses a special CAT cable that is spec'ed for analog video transmission and may not work with these converters.

We use 6 of these systems in 2 bldgs with good results.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RichPhillips wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:26 pm We have tried several different brand hdmi to vga/audio adapters to convert the hdmi out from speakers devices. The projection is good, but the vga video output of the swicher from the converter varies from torn to black screen. The same result comes from looping it out of the projector as connecting the converter direct to the podium connector. I tried using a powered hdmi splitter to increase the signal, but same result.
I'd look at the possibility that the VGA signal generated from the HDMI is a standard your system can't deal with. Just as a test, you might try going direct from the converter to your switcher to see if you can make it work. Once it works, only then try and introduce the long cable/converter.

HDMI only supports certain resolutions and frame rates. It looks like the lowest is 1280 × 720 at 30 fps.

Wikipedia HDMI
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RichPhillips

Post by RichPhillips »

Thanks to all that replied. I have turned this over to the FM. I suspect they will replace the Extron extenders. Since the switcher is an Extron IN1500-8, it is not able to handle much digital input. I do not think the FM will want to spend the money to upgrade the video switcher. Will let you know what is decided.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”