Sat gone... first time streaming multiple languages

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
sjstringham

Sat gone... first time streaming multiple languages

Post by sjstringham »

We have has as many as three languages going in out stake for past general conferences. We have 4 Spanish and 5 English wards. We hate the idea of putting folks in different rooms. Getting the folks together in the same room shoulder to shoulder is important.

So, today, for the Women's broadcast, I was trying to get English going on the chapel speakers, and Spanish on the headsets.

During testing I could not get Spanish to work on either the LDS channel or BYUTV on my roku device. So, I'm trying to use the roku in the chapel for English, and a pc/laptop for Spanish.

During the earlier Saturday afternoon session I played with using roku express devices and either the BYUTV or LDS channel. For the afternoon session BYUtv was lined up to the church website from a pc. But LDS channel was 10 aeconds off.

So I'm thinking yes, I got this! But the the women's session started. And the Byu tv was 20 seconds off from the pc. And the pc would not pause. LDS channel was off by 1 to 3 seconds (much better, but not great). So I changed the channel in the chapel after the first talk to get them closer.

It was annoying in the inconsistencies.

So, do I need to just do a laptop in the chapel from now on? I was hoping to use a cheep roku. No keyboard, no worries of being stolen, etc.

SLC. Please get the apps on the roku to do multiple languages! And what can we do to sync them up so my folks can have a better group experience?
BrianEdwards

Re: Sat gone... first time streaming multiple languages

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'm also interested in strategies for having a synced experience without the satellite functionality. Hopefully others out there have a trick or two up their sleeve that they can share.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:46 pm I'm also interested in strategies for having a synced experience without the satellite functionality. Hopefully others out there have a trick or two up their sleeve that they can share.
If you have a building video distribution system, I would use it. If you are using multiple laptops or other receiving devices, syncing is not so much an issue if a different language is being displayed in a separate room.

If syncing is required, the only syncing function I am aware of is to determine which device is farthest behind, and then pausing and restarting all of the other devices to match it. Fred Flintstone would be proud, and would note that you have to do it all over again every time the device you key off of stutters.
winjesluck

Post by winjesluck »

The best I've been able to do is use the YouTube feed of General Conference or other area broadcasts for multiple languages and by using the count down timer during the prelude to sync the videos of the different languages.

Being in Australia and because of the time difference, we normally watch General Conference a week after and some of the languages we have in the Stakes I assist with don't have a YouTube channel feed and for those I download the video and put them onto a USB to play in other rooms, but have managed to get them in sync by unpausing the start of the conference with either the welcome to conference part or when the opening hymn starts.

It would be nice to have a separate YouTube links or another broadcast links that Stake Techs only received that could be used in chapels with AV Systems that used to have Satellites and the video woukd have 2 language going out of the 2 audii channels (ie left channel for one language and right channel for the second language) like we used to receive via the Satellite broadcasts.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sjstringham wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:34 pm We have has as many as three languages going in out stake for past general conferences. We have 4 Spanish and 5 English wards. We hate the idea of putting folks in different rooms. Getting the folks together in the same room shoulder to shoulder is important.
I love that approach. We tried to do that many years ago in our stake when we had 5 language needs. The stake president really wanted everyone to sit together in the meetings instead of in separate rooms. We had 4-channel headsets and used the hard-of-hearing system for people who needed English audio. I never could get the church to run the audio lines for the additional languages to the chapel so we could connect them to the transmitters (and I didn't have time to do it myself). The church people told me that was too long of an audio run for it to work. I pointed out that English audio could make to the chapel from the same satellite receiver, so why couldn't the other languages. I got no response. The stake president didn't push it, so it never got done.

Interestingly, in our latest a/v system update, all the audio languages run to a rack at the chapel, but there's no output so we can easily connect them to the translation headsets. It probably wouldn't be too much effort to do split the audio at the rack and add lines to the transmitters. But, I don't have time to do it (and the FM group probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway :).

Return to “Satellite”