MLS has been disabled by the Church

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
garystroble

MLS has been disabled by the Church

Post by garystroble »

Posted on LCR tonight:

"Member and Leader Services (MLS) uses technology that has become unsupportable before the expected date. As a result, MLS connections have been disabled and will remain inactive for the foreseeable future.

Please record all your donations here in Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) instead of MLS (if you were not already doing so). If you have donations to record from prior Sundays, you may backdate the donation batch by selecting the calendar icon and choosing the correct date the donations were received.

Stakes with Recreation Camps under their stewardship should contact GSD to receive additional instructions.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: MLS has been disabled by the Church

Post by lajackson »

Is it now the case that the only reason to have a computer in the clerks office is to access the Internet?
(And to edit an occasional LibreOffice document.)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:07 pm Is it now the case that the only reason to have a computer in the clerks office is to access the Internet?
(And to edit an occasional LibreOffice document.)
Pretty close. We have units in our stake that have never used MLS and the older units in the stake haven't opened it in over 18 months.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Scgallafent, Is MLS officially dead?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:32 pm Scgallafent, Is MLS officially dead?
For most units, MLS is basically dead and all necessary functions have been moved online. As I mentioned, my ward hasn't transmitted since November 2020. At this point, it would take four to six hours for a successful send/receive by the ward and over 20 hours for a successful send/receive by the stake. That is well beyond "mostly dead."

Some changes made last week affected membership processing and those are probably the death knell. For units that can use LCR, it is time to migrate.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

scgallafent wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:26 pm
russellhltn wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:32 pm Scgallafent, Is MLS officially dead?
For most units, MLS is basically dead and all necessary functions have been moved online. As I mentioned, my ward hasn't transmitted since November 2020. At this point, it would take four to six hours for a successful send/receive by the ward and over 20 hours for a successful send/receive by the stake. That is well beyond "mostly dead."

Some changes made last week affected membership processing and those are probably the death knell. For units that can use LCR, it is time to migrate.
Hopefully more computer power is available on Sunday's on the Church's end to process tithing on LCR. For months our Ward has had to fall back to using MLS for in person deposits as a viable back-up, as LCR just sits there and spins for an extremely long time until we give up. Other units in our Stake have told me the same thing. We have tried to migrate to LCR completely many times, only to be slapped back to reality on Sunday's. We also have encouraged members to donate on line, but some do not wish to, plus there is always children's tithing to process as well as check writing for Fast Offering purposes.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'm sure I could search and find this answer embedded in some topic thread, but I'll ask here. If/When LCRF is unavailable on a Sunday, what are the options for processing donations? I know the Bishop could keep the donations with him until the next week.

But I believe I've read that you can do the bank deposit and then later enter the info into LCRF. Was this only when no internet connection was available, so MLS could be used locally to create the deposit info? A quick search of the Help Docs didn't show me anything regarding this. With MLS gone, are we required to fully process via LCRF before we can make the bank deposit?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:23 pm With MLS gone, are we required to fully process via LCRF before we can make the bank deposit?
That is the preferred method. If LCRF is not available or the deposit cannot be recorded online, you still make the bank deposit and resolve the LCRF issues afterward.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

What about the "Bank Copy of the Deposit Report" statement that is normally printed out and included in the deposit bag? I've never been certain if the Bank actually cares if that's included, but this sounds like it's optional?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:42 pm What about the "Bank Copy of the Deposit Report" statement that is normally printed out and included in the deposit bag? I've never been certain if the Bank actually cares if that's included, but this sounds like it's optional?
It is a convenience that I suspect most banks just ignore. They count the cash. They scan the checks themselves. They record the deposit.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”