Garbage audio quality of mp3 general conference speeches

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mevans

Re: Garbage audio quality of mp3 general conference speeches

Post by mevans »

n_tech wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:49 pm I made my initial post too technical.
You are newer to the community and haven't made that many posts. You shouldn't fear that posts you make here are "too technical." After all, these are "tech forums" and there are several very technical people who frequent the forums. This is just user-to-user with occasional input from church employees. The technical people may or may not have anything to say about a particular post, and probably don't read all the posts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

n_tech wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:49 pm My point is that the audio files on the conference website available for download are garbage quality- very low bitrate. Our church leaders and members deserve much better!
It's possible the low bitrate was for the benefit of people who live in parts of the world with limited bandwidth, or who have to pay for their connection by data usage.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jcretrop

Post by jcretrop »

russellhltn wrote:
> [quote=n_tech post_id=238445 time=1672343380 user_id=704767]
> My point is that the audio files on the conference website available for
> download are garbage quality- very low bitrate. Our church leaders and
> members deserve much better!
> [/quote]
>
> It's possible the low bitrate was for the benefit of people who live in
> parts of the world with limited bandwidth, or who have to pay for their
> connection by data usage.

This is a pretty easy fix though. Just allow some sort of toggle in settings in the library app to either download "hi-res" audio or "standard" audio, to be able to give users an option, depending on their bandwidth. It really is borderline unlistenable to me at times.

Return to “Main Church Website”