Missing Missionary from Online Donation Dropdown

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
eblood66

Re: Missing Missionary from Online Donation Dropdown

Post by eblood66 »

I contacted GSD and they said that missionaries are not supposed to show up on the donations drop down until after they have completed their first month and the ward has had their first charge. They weren't sure why some missionaries were showing up sooner but it was being looked into. They advised watching to make sure missionaries show up after their first month and to contact the GSD if they haven't by that time.

I ask whether this was recent change but didn't get a response to that part of my question (this was via email).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

eblood66 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:55 am I contacted GSD and ...
Thank you for posting the information. I have informed out bishop other affected ward leaders.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:55 am I contacted GSD and they said that missionaries are not supposed to show up on the donations drop down until after they have completed their first month and the ward has had their first charge.
Wow. That seems kind of late. It also sounds like the last charge will be after the missionary arrives home. I'd think families get a bit reluctant to make a payment after they've returned.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Also makes it more difficult for the clerk to manage as (at least in my experience) most families pay that first month. Then the clerk will then have to remember to move the donation into the proper fund once it is created...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davesudweeks wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 pm Also makes it more difficult for the clerk to manage as (at least in my experience) most families pay that first month. Then the clerk will then have to remember to move the donation into the proper fund once it is created...
Agreed. I'm going to ask my clerks to pass along any cases of this happening and will send feedback about it if and when I have concrete instances.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 pmWow. That seems kind of late. It also sounds like the last charge will be after the missionary arrives home. I'd think families get a bit reluctant to make a payment after they've returned.
There was an announcement that went to priesthood leaders a while ago that missionary support payments are now being billed in arrears. That means that the charge made to the ward mission account is made after the missionary has completed service and it almost certainly means that there will be a final charge for a partial month that is applied after the missionary has returned home. Our daughter completed her mission on the 30th day of a 31-day month and the ward mission fund was charged $387.10 at the end of the first week of the month after she returned.

If ward clerks aren't communicating this information to families who have committed to supporting missionaries, they will need to work with the families to account for payments that were made to and charges that were charged against the missionary support funds. The details are in LCR-Finance so they will be able to reconcile everything. On the plus side, after going through that with one or two families, the clerk will get better at communicating that in advance. :)
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

There was an announcement that went to priesthood leaders a while ago...
Hmmm, I'm not seeing anything either emailed directly to me or in the Official Communications I have access to. Are there Forum members who received or can point me to this communication? I'm not certain if it just went to clerks, or should have gone also to Bishops, etc. I'd like to get my hands on this for reference (and yes, I'm somebody who should have access to this update about missionary payment info). If something like this just goes to clerks with the expectation they'll tell their Bishop, I'm not sure about that.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I suspect that the notice is the one referenced in this post: https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... 36#p211036

Personally that letter does not come up for me. If it's a rights issue, that seems strange since a notice about missionary finances seems very relevant to a stake finance clerk. In any case, I can't see who it was addressed to.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

And that post references a previous thread: Change to missionary payment withdrawal date. It seems this has been in place since May 2020? It also seems like it would be helpful to have either the original letter, or a Help Doc, that we all could reference since it appears many of us still are trying to work under the old paradigm... :shock:

Perhaps somebody can find that and point us to it...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:44 pm Personally that letter does not come up for me. If it's a rights issue, that seems strange since a notice about missionary finances seems very relevant to a stake finance clerk.
Just out of curiosity: If you go into the Official Communication Library, and click on "Presiding Bishopric", do you see any communication?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”