Marriage recorded incorrectly

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
charlesbarnett

Marriage recorded incorrectly

Post by charlesbarnett »

Recently, I moved a members records into our ward so that I could record their marriage. When I moved her records, I noticed that she already had his last name. As I looked closer, I noticed that she was "married" to his older brother (who recently moved out of our ward). Someone married her to "Nathan" when she should've been married to "Kevin". The only editing I'm allowed to do in her marriage is either edit the date,city, etc. Or if I try to edit her marriage status, it only allows me to choose divorce, death of spouse, annulment, or other. I had them call SLC and they were told that their ward clerk (me) had to correct it. I spoke with my Stake clerk and he says that it needs to be taken care of in SLC. I have no idea how they were incorrectly married in the MLS, they've never been in the same ward together. If the record can be removed or erased, I can enter their info correctly. I really need some help.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Marriage recorded incorrectly

Post by lajackson »

charlesbarnett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:24 pm I can enter their info correctly. I really need some help.
Gather up all of the information you will need and then call the Global Services Department. If you try to correct the information, the old marriage information will remain on the record in addition to any changes you may make, probably adding an erroneous divorce or death that should not be there.

The GSD will be able to correctly update the record for you so that the marriage is properly recorded as it really happened. You, as the clerk, need to make the phone call.
charlesbarnett

Re: Marriage recorded incorrectly

Post by charlesbarnett »

Thank you. It was a rather difficult process to fix. Thx to the Global Services for fixing the issue.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”