Online Donations to Other Subcategory account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eefisher

Online Donations to Other Subcategory account

Post by eefisher »

Fewer and fewer of our members are using checks. They want a way to pay for camp the same way they pay their tithing - online. Since sending money to a leader via Venmo or Paypal, then having that leader make a deposit to Other:Subcategory isn't an option, is there a way for a member to make a donation (payment) to the ward's Other:subcategory account via donations.churchofjesuschrist.org, the same way they would do their tithing? I didn't see one.

I know it's not a tax deductible donation like the other payments donors can make online, but it still would be nice and would help camp payments come in a lot faster so that leaders have the funds to start paying for the camp, rather than waiting for everyone to remember to write and bring a check to the bishopric.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Online Donations to Other Subcategory account

Post by russellhltn »

eefisher wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:57 pm is there a way for a member to make a donation (payment) to the ward's Other:subcategory account via donations.churchofjesuschrist.org, the same way they would do their tithing? I didn't see one.
No, there isn't. At least not in the US.

This forum is largely user-to-user, so all we can do is gripe about it together. I'm sure church headquarters is aware of the desire, so sending feedback isn't likely to help. I'd suggest asking the bishop to take it up with the stake president for him to take up with his presiding authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

The Presiding Bishopric issued a communication on Jun 10, 2022 discussing changes in the Donation categories including the discontinuation of the "Authorized Member-Financed Activities" category. The wording makes that seem like it is in the future but attempting to make an online donation today, that category option is not available. It does look like it is still available for ward processed donations/deposits.

"Instructions regarding the discontinuation of “Authorized Member-Financed Activities” will be sent separately."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

larry19810 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pm The Presiding Bishopric issued a communication
Unfortunately, a number of us have noticed we can't read anything from the Presiding Bishopric in the Official Communication Library. Probably a good time for all those affected to bug support.

larry19810 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pmdiscussing changes in the Donation categories including the discontinuation of the "Authorized Member-Financed Activities" category.
Oh, this should be interesting. Too bad I can't read it.

larry19810 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pmattempting to make an online donation today, that category option is not available.
That's never been possible - at least in the US. So, no change there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:53 pm
larry19810 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pm The Presiding Bishopric issued a communication
Unfortunately, a number of us have noticed we can't read anything from the Presiding Bishopric in the Official Communication Library. Probably a good time for all those affected to bug support.
I see it in OCL under Notices
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kd7mha wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:33 pm I see it in OCL under Notices
I don't see it there either. Cycling though all the categories, the most recent I see is June 3.

larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

larry19810 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pmattempting to make an online donation today, that category option is not available.
Never has been - at least in the US. So, no change there.
[/quote]

OK Thanks. I hadn't noticed.
It has been two or more years since I had to collect camp payments. We did it the old fashioned way back then. That seems to still be available until the actual deletion of the category.
larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:19 pm
kd7mha wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:33 pm I see it in OCL under Notices
I don't see it there either. Cycling though all the categories, the most recent I see is June 3.
I see it under the 'All' and under the 'Notices' categories but not the other three options.
"Donation Categories Simplification" June 10, 2022
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

larry19810 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:23 pm I see it under the 'All' and under the 'Notices' categories but not the other three options.
"Donation Categories Simplification" June 10, 2022
I don't see it. Nor do I see anything under Presiding Bishopric category - including things that directly impact my calling. A number of forum members with different callings noticed the same.

waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

For those who can't see it on the Church website, the purported text of the letter is at https://www.reddit.com/r/mormon/comment ... ategories/

Maybe someone who can see on the Church website can verify that the text on reddit is accurate.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”