Joint custody of kids - same ward after divorce

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
ksg8

Joint custody of kids - same ward after divorce

Post by ksg8 »

Hello - How do I get children listed in my household on my church record?
My coparent and I have joint legal custody - divorce finalized 1 yr ago. The children split the time evenly between our homes - both homes are in ward boundary. The children are currently listed only in the coparents household and impacts youth app access for myself as parent.

The Bishop reached out to someone trying to add the children to my household as well.
What I understand is that the children can't be listed in 2 households - they can only be assigned to one household in the ward?
This is not correct by principal or logistically.

Please advise. TIA
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Joint custody of kids - same ward after divorce

Post by scgallafent »

ksg8 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:44 pmWhat I understand is that the children can't be listed in 2 households - they can only be assigned to one household in the ward?
That is a current limitation of the way households are managed in the membership system.
ksg8

Post by ksg8 »

I appreciate your response.

It is not ethical to kids or parents - to not have children listed in multiple households/joint custody families.

This is very important. Please forward my need to the appropriate IT contact in the church.

Thank you in advance ~
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I share your feeling of the importance of having the children appear in both households. However, this discussion forum is unlikely to provide access to those in charge of tracking and prioritizing an issue like this -- most of us are regular church members like yourself, although there are a few church employees who participate and thus at times can provide more details than the rest of us commoners would know. Myself, I wouldn't know if this household limitation is "by design" or "by omission", and from what I've seen it's usually quite hard to get anyone from the Church to provide details about "why" things are the way they are. And Forum members often have varying perspectives about "why" things are the way they are.

I expect that this is one of those issues that unfortunately has few avenues for you to pursue. First, I'd suggest sending Feedback via the link at the bottom of most church webpages, we are often told that this is the only real method to try and get this into the "system". Second, I'd see if your Bishop is willing to push this request up his line of authority (Stake President, and then on).

But perhaps other Forum members have additional thoughts about what you might be able to do for your situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's more common for a divorced couple to end up in different wards. Either because they live in different boundaries, or because it would be too disruptive to the spirit to have them see each other every Sunday.

When they are in different wards, there is a means to have the children show up in both wards grouped with the respective parent.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”