Protecting Children and Youth Report Contents

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
nabutte

Protecting Children and Youth Report Contents

Post by nabutte »

Does anyone know if the current Protecting Children and Youth Report within Leader and Clerk resource only shows members with specific callings? We are noticing that some members don't show up in the report when they did previously, after they received a new calling.

We are trying to identify members of our wards\stake who have completed the Protecting Children and Youth training so they can attend youth camps. These adults may not have active youth callings, but need to take the training prior to attending the youth event.

Unfortunately, those members don't show up on the report even though they have completed the training. Any way this report can be updated to show all members who have completed the training?
garystroble

Re: Protecting Children and Youth Report Contents

Post by garystroble »

The report is specific by current calling only. Unfortunately when the business rules were written, apparently little or no thought was given to scenarios such as you describe. All you can do is submit feedback, and hope, pray and wait. I don't know if a person's word can be accepted on having taken the training or not, that is up to your local and stake leaders perhaps.

Suppose one could force the individuals in as say, Primary substitutes and see what their status comes up with. That might be a workaround until the system is fine tuned better.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

According to a post elsewhere on the forum, ward clerks are supposed to take the training. However, when it was first instigated I carried out the training as a ward clerk. I’ve been a ward clerk for several years before this and still am. I received the confirmation email on completion, but my pass has never been listed in the Child Protection report in LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 am According to a post elsewhere on the forum, ward clerks are supposed to take the training. However, when it was first instigated I carried out the training as a ward clerk. I’ve been a ward clerk for several years before this and still am. I received the confirmation email on completion, but my pass has never been listed in the Child Protection report in LCR.
According to the letter of May 26, 2020, it says "bishoprics". Maybe someone got confused as to what makes up a bishopric, although, it's not a bad idea for the clerk to take it just to be able to support others who might be struggling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

It seems to me that that the Clerk can be in a Bishopric for one scenario, but not in another. Confused you will be! 😁
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When the training first came out, I was serving as ward clerk. I took it two or three of times, partly because it wasn't recording completion correctly when it was first released and partly so I would understand it to be prepared to assist ward members in taking the training.

I never understood the logic behind *not* having a report that will show everyone who has taken the training. Having to find substitutes for primary and youth classes is not a new thing. :-)
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Since the clerks can and do go into classrooms to check on attendance if required, them not showing if they had the training or not is a hole big enough to drive a Mac truck through.
tiger

Post by tiger »

I completely agree with davesudweeks. Given many have asked for the Protecting Children and Youth Report to be include all ward members, one would think that those who control these reports would take action on such requests.

It cannot be hard. The information has to be present already in every members "record". Adding an additional item to the organization dropdown menu to include all ward members and the code to back that cannot be hard. It would solve a lot of frustration that I am seeing and enable leaders to actually take actions that they are feeling that should take without making up callings and forcing the information to be visible.

Can someone definitively answer why this information isn't or cannot be made available to us as leaders?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

You're unlikely to get any definitive answer here on the Forum (or elsewhere, for that matter!). Us Forum members are for the most part regular members with various callings like yourself, and those few Church employees who frequent the Forum aren't always privy to the internal decision-making process. From what I've gleaned from "listening" here in the Forum, the Church is currently overloaded with various "911: Must-Fix" type of issues that are overwhelming the system. Even in the best of times, the number of church employees available to make bug fixes and enhancements seems to be quite low compared to what most of us would expect, and while we may feel that's the wrong approach, there's not much to be done from our side of things.

Our Stake YW just requested that everyone involved in girls camp take the training again regardless of when they last took it, and report the new training date to them. I expect this is related to the inability to see if all adults involved in camp are up-to-date with the C&Y training, so they just did the global everyone-do-it-again approach. I understand their concern, but it definitely has caused some consternation and pushback. Having the info available like you describe would likely resolve this issue for our Stake YW leaders.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

At some point there may be a legal problem with the training done by those without youth callings not accessible to leaders, and the discovery process then will be a lot more time consuming and costly than just fixing the problem ahead of time.

Return to “Links & Resources”