Protecting Children and Youth Report Contents

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Protecting Children and Youth Report Contents

Post by russellhltn »

And it's possible there's a legal issue with knowing the status of the training without a demonstrated "need to know". (Such as being in a calling that requires it.)

We can speculate all day, but that's not going to change anything. But I do sense the legal department's hands in many of these decisions.

If you feel strongly about it, have the stake president take the issue up with his coordinating council.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Every time I am asked to take the training, I reply with the email I received when I trained, along with a reminder that it is good for three years. I am not in a calling that requires the training, but occasionally I am asked to assist with the youth in ways that would suggest that the training is a good thing to have completed.

I agree that it would be nice to know who has completed the training. At one time, I thought the bishop and the ward clerk could see that information in a report.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

lajackson wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:37 pm Every time I am asked to take the training, I reply with the email I received when I trained, along with a reminder that it is good for three years. I am not in a calling that requires the training, but occasionally I am asked to assist with the youth in ways that would suggest that the training is a good thing to have completed.

I agree that it would be nice to know who has completed the training. At one time, I thought the bishop and the ward clerk could see that information in a report.
They can only see those who have a calling which requires the training. That has been the discussion in this thread.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Since this is not a forum to get any action to be taken, where would be the most appropriate place to attempt to get action taken?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tiger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:48 am Since this is not a forum to get any action to be taken, where would be the most appropriate place to attempt to get action taken?
There are two avenues:
You can use the feedback link at the bottom of any church page. That will get the idea in front of the decision makers, but you're unlikely to get any feedback.

Or, you can ask your stake president to take it up with his coordinating council.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tiger wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:48 am Since this is not a forum to get any action to be taken, where would be the most appropriate place to attempt to get action taken?
The Feedback on any Church website page will get information to the developers. The feedback link in an app will do the same, but that is not an option in this case, of course.

Another way to send requests is through your priesthood leaders. Your bishop counsels often with your stake president. Your stake president meets regularly with his assigned Area Seventy who is also able to elevate requests to those in leadership at Church headquarters who make the decisions concerning these matters.
pjspencer

Re: Protecting Children and Youth Report

Post by pjspencer »

The protecting children & youth course states "an email reminder will be sent to a person when they are due to retake the protecting children & youth course."
Who is responsible to send this reminder?
When is the reminder sent out- before or after the person is due to retake the course?
Thanks
Patti
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Protecting Children and Youth Report

Post by jdlessley »

pjspencer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:20 pm The protecting children & youth course states "an email reminder will be sent to a person when they are due to retake the protecting children & youth course."
That is either recently developed or has not yet been implemented. There is a tendency, at times, for the documentation to get ahead of the new programming.
pjspencer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:20 pmWho is responsible to send this reminder?
I am guessing from the wording that the email will be sent by church headquarters using an automated program. Hopefully someone who gets a notification will post their experience.
pjspencer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:20 pmWhen is the reminder sent out- before or after the person is due to retake the course?
We will have to wait and see. I suspect that if proper consideration has been made that there may be more than one email. The first may be enough time in advance to allow time to do the refresher. Again, that will have to be reported by someone who experiences this notification.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

So the documentation may not be telling the truth, even with three years to write the programming! Meanwhile, those with Yahoo etc. email addresses may not get the emails from headquarters anyway. Sounds like we are on our own to send the notices.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I never received a reminder email when my training expired. Then again, I am not currently serving in a position that requires the training.

I mean, how often do elders quorum secretaries substitute in Primary or youth Sunday School classes, help mentor the young men and women, help take youth on temple trips, or fulfill other assignments for which it would seem wise to have the training.

Other than the email I received each time I completed the Church training, I do not think my clerk is able to find a record that I have completed it twice. I imagine that the computer would be programmed to send out a reminder automatically.

On the other hand, I suspect that the developers are terribly busy trying to make the system comply with the mandatory requirements of at least two states I know of that require proof of youth protection training.

Return to “Links & Resources”