Fishing attempt

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rphunt

Fishing attempt

Post by rphunt »

I received a carefully crafted email regarding membership record audits that looked valid; however, there was a slight problem with the email address. It is coming from “churchofjesuschrisRt[dot]org”. Note the extra R in the domain. Image
Attachments
D458B980-932D-4FAE-BDB3-F7451C8EA454.jpeg
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Fishing attempt

Post by russellhltn »

Not a valid domain. I'm not sure how this would result in a phishing attempt. I'm inclined to think it's a typo - a typo that might explain why some people aren't getting messages sent via LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I’ve received the notice and yes the “typo” is there. Like russelhtn I don’t consider this a phishing attempt as there is no attempt at to extract personal information. All the links take you to the legitimate LCR webpages.

However it hasn’t done any harm to draw peoples attention to the error, as it may well make people be more cautious in the future!
munaish

Post by munaish »

I'm not saying it is or is not a phishing email, but if it were, it would probably route you to a fake website when you click on the logo, and try to get your log-in info. if you sign in there. It may even mask the URL once you're there to make it look like the real one.
munaish

Post by munaish »

I'm an assistant clerk (the clerk over membership in my ward), and I didn't get that email.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Since it IS actually time for the annual membership audit, one possibility to consider is that the message is legitimate and that somewhere in the chain someone got the email address wrong when getting details to the team who manages the email system.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

As Biggles said, I also received the email and the links are valid. I didn't even notice the potential phishing aspect until I saw this Forum post, so I went back and sure enough it's the misspelled name.

Perhaps the Church is intentionally trying to see if leaders simply click on the links in the email without noticing the misspelling, or if they go to the website and access the audit from there? :x

Return to “Main Church Website”