Not receiving Emails from Ward and Stake

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
caillines

Re: Not receiving Emails from Ward and Stake

Post by caillines »

wrigjef wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:23 pm Does anything other than gmail work?

My zoho email received “send a message” emails just fine before these problems. Checked with zoho and they looked at logs and nothing has changed on their end. I was on a stake communications committee and have a churchofjesuschrist.org email that I use on my church account so I can receive messages but I was released and they will likely take that email address away. I would rather not set up a gmail account.
Based on a report I just ran, we have 49 unique email domains, used by members in the stake.
From what I can tell, 23 are "free" email services, 12 are ISP provided, with the rest a combination of custom and workplace.
And although there are 23 free, that includes 4 different yahoo domains, 9 different Microsoft-owned domains etc.
And of those 12 ISP domains, I think it's only actually four different companies

It's difficult to know who is affected all together. I get some bounces for yahoo email addresses. But others are silent delivery fails. The aol domain is usually ok from memory.

Would be so much easier if I could put a tracking pixel in the emails.
catreeder

Post by catreeder »

Has any one been able to get this resolved without having to get a Gmail account? I have reported this in the feedback link. I seems like something happened in July as that was the last time any of us received an email from our ward.
caillines

Post by caillines »

If it's a yahoo address there is nothing we can do about it, except have leaders send to yahoo addresses manually using their own email client.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

So what I’m reading here is that we don’t know what email domains work, other than gmail.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wrigjef wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:32 pm So what I’m reading here is that we don’t know what email domains work, other than gmail.
If you read through the posts you will note that there is a short list of domains that do not work. Others seem to work. Gmail is not the only one that usually gets through.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I’m almost certainly missing something but from what I can read Looks like yahoo, AOL, Verizon & Comcast are definitely not working. Hotmail doesn’t work for some, even gmail isn’t working consistently.

When I was provided a @comm.churchofjesuschrist.org email address, I added it to my Apple mail client and it looked like it’s gmail based. I’ll just hope that the church lets me keep that email after I’m released from my communications calling so I can use it for my entry in the ward directory, and continue to receive send a message emails.

I do thank you for your help. This forum is always very helpful.
jarcher

Post by jarcher »

After having just spoken with Leader Support they let me know that AOL and YAHOO have completely blocked all emails from the Church due to Less Active or Inactive Members who received Church Communications be it at the General, Stake or Ward Levels who do no wish to receive such communications have been marking the messages as spam or junk instead of replying to the messages and asking the Sender to remove them from the list.

Furthermore AOL and YAHOO have shared these Block Lists with other major email providers and as a result emails sent to Hotmail or Comcast etc are also being effected.

Gmail or Google Workspace Emails are not effected and it was recommended to me to ask the members who are effected to at least temporarily use a gmail account in order to continue to receive regular, uninterrupted communications.

Finally when looking at Send a Message inside of LCR the following banner message is appearing which has reinforced everything that I was just told over the phone.

"The Church’s email delivery via “Send a Message” in Leader and Clerk Resources has been problematic for the past several weeks. Some email providers are currently blocking email traffic from Church servers.

Church engineers are actively working on the problem both internally, with external vendors and email providers. There appears to be no “quick fix” for the issue and may continue for some time. For the best probability of not being blocked, we recommend:

Email messages sent via “Send a Message” be sent during the week instead of near peak hours of Saturday and Sunday.
Members verify that the email addresses on their Church account are correct.
Thank you for your patience as we work through email delivery problems."

I hope this information helps anyone who is helping members struggling with similar issues.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Not being disrespectful but I’m wondering if the whole “blocking” issue is real. My zoho.com email worked fine for several years then inexplicably stopped getting church emails. I’ve talked to several different people at zoho and they all tell the same story, they don’t block emails (users set their own spam filters), they don’t buy block lists from other providers and they have not adjusted anything.

I'm fairly certain that churchofjesuschrist.org email is gmail based. I’m wondering if church members are being prompted to also use gmail.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

wrigjef wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:13 pm I'm fairly certain that churchofjesuschrist.org email is gmail based. I’m wondering if church members are being prompted to also use gmail.
Missionary emails are Gmail-based (missionary.org); however, most other things at the Church (including employee emails) are Microsoft/Outlook-based. I don't know what system is being used for mass emails, but I would be surprised if it's a Gmail-based system.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

When I was assigned a churchofjesuschrist.org email for a previous communications calling, my email client classified it as a google account with a gmail alias.

Return to “Member Tools”