Not receiving Emails from Ward and Stake

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
khunsaker

Not receiving Emails from Ward and Stake

Post by khunsaker »

My "Tools" application is set to Stake permissions on all household and personal contact information. We are not receiving emails from our Ward or Stake when information is sent. Our Ward Clerk sent a test message and we received it, but later when the weekly group newsletter went out for our Ward, we did not receive it. What can be done to fix this problem?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Not receiving Emails from Ward and Stake

Post by russellhltn »

khunsaker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 am What can be done to fix this problem?
You might want to contact your email provider to see if there's anything that can be done on their end.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Do you have your email address filled in under both the household and personal email fields? This is necessary even if it's the same – some tools pull from one field, others pull from the other.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
cgiddley

Post by cgiddley »

I was able to receive emails via LCR without any trouble until I became ward executive secretary two weeks ago and I gained access to LCR, after never having had access to it before. Since then, I haven't been able to receive any emails from anyone, including myself, and I can't send emails to anyone. My stake clerk doesn't know why. Can someone help me? I have a Yahoo email account. It's the same account I was using when I was able to receive emails prior to two weeks ago. I get the green indicator saying the message is sending, as well, but then I receive no confirmation, and no one, including myself, receives the email. I can't receive emails from any of the other ward leaders, either. I'm missing out on everything and having to ask others to send emails for me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cgiddley wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:04 pm I was able to receive emails via LCR without any trouble until I became ward executive secretary two weeks ago and I gained access to LCR, after never having had access to it before. Since then, I haven't been able to receive any emails from anyone, including myself, and I can't send emails to anyone. My stake clerk doesn't know why. Can someone help me? I have a Yahoo email account. It's the same account I was using when I was able to receive emails prior to two weeks ago. I get the green indicator saying the message is sending, as well, but then I receive no confirmation, and no one, including myself, receives the email. I can't receive emails from any of the other ward leaders, either. I'm missing out on everything and having to ask others to send emails for me.
This sounds very much like the problem reported almost a year ago in this thread: https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=39444

Indeed, we are getting reports in our ward that no one with a yahoo.com account can receive email from LCR. It appears that it is a fairly recent change, as emails were received by these members on July 10, but not after that date.

And to verify it myself, I temporarily changed my email address for my Church account to an ancient yahoo.com account I don't use anymore. Using LCR to send emails to that account seemed to work, but the messages never got to my yahoo inbox. There was no message on the sending side in LCR to indicate that there was a failure. My guess is that the yahoo.com mail servers are receiving the email, but treating the noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org address as a spammer, so they don't send a response, but they also don't forward it on to the member's mailbox.

Members with these problematic accounts can try to work with Yahoo to request that they allow emails from noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org, but that could take a while or Yahoo may choose not to do it. In any case, if they have an alternate email with a different provider, they can switch to that email on their Church account. I know that can be painful, but it should work immediately.
cgiddley

Post by cgiddley »

Thanks for the feedback. But I have to wonder why -- if the issue is Yahoo -- can I not SEND emails via LCR to anyone in the ward?

I called Yahoo this evening, and the agent I spoke to said Yahoo is not blocking emails sent by noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org from being received by Yahoo email users. He pointed out that since our tech forum users are reporting that emails are not currently being received by at least three email providers -- Yahoo, AOL and Comcast -- the issue must reside with whoever manages noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org.

I also wonder whether my email issue might be connected with me having had access to MLS until 2015 in a previous calling, and then not having had leader access rights to anything until July 10, when I gained access rights to LCR. Could there be some cached user info connected with my access rights to MLS that are in conflict with my access rights to LCR? For example, several times since July 10 when I've clicked on the "Leader and Clerk Resources" URL, I've gotten a notification saying I don't have rights to access that page. Sometimes Leader and Clerk Resources then loads within a few seconds, but a few times, I've had to log back in to my Church website account. Also, every time I've clicked on the "Contact Us" icon on the far right side of the LCR screen, an antiquated-looking sign-in screen pops up, asking for my user name and password, and then it disappears after about a second, and then I get a mostly blank white page with a notice that says I've been successfully logged out.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

cgiddley wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:47 pm I called Yahoo this evening, and the agent I spoke to said Yahoo is not blocking emails sent by noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org from being received by Yahoo email users. He pointed out that since our tech forum users are reporting that emails are not currently being received by at least three email providers -- Yahoo, AOL and Comcast -- the issue must reside with whoever manages noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org.
Since 2017, Yahoo and AOL are owned and managed by the same company. I couldn't find a lot of information online about Comcast email, but I suspect that Comcast/Xfinity is also connected to Yahoo and AOL (note how Yahoo and AOL are called out here, with no mention of other big providers like Gmail, Hotmail, or Outlook: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/add-external-email-accounts-to-xfinity-connect).
caillines

Post by caillines »

Gmail gets mixed results for messages I send. Some get blocked, others get through fine.
Don't think I've had any issues with hotmail/outlook.
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

cgiddley wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:47 pm I called Yahoo this evening, and the agent I spoke to said Yahoo is not blocking emails sent by noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org from being received by Yahoo email users. He pointed out that since our tech forum users are reporting that emails are not currently being received by at least three email providers -- Yahoo, AOL and Comcast -- the issue must reside with whoever manages noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org.
TO THE FORUM MODERATORS HERE:
has this issue been communicated to official church technology leaders or is this just a bunch of us commiserating that church notifications no longer works for Yahoo users?

The official answer can’t be “just create a new address with a new provider.”
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mattprasmussen wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:17 am
TO THE FORUM MODERATORS HERE:
has this issue been communicated to official church technology leaders or is this just a bunch of us commiserating that church notifications no longer works for Yahoo users?

The official answer can’t be “just create a new address with a new provider.”
The most reliable way to get feedback to those who oversee Church tech products is to use the Feedback link at the bottom of the Church website. This is primarily a user-to-user forum, and with a few exceptions, the forum moderators don't have a direct line of communication to those who make decisions or can provide an official response. That said, in another thread about emails not coming through it was confirmed that the developers are aware of the issue.

Return to “Member Tools”