iPhone SE (2 & 3 Gen) usability with Gospel Library App

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
dougandr

iPhone SE (2 & 3 Gen) usability with Gospel Library App

Post by dougandr »

Because of the small screen size (4 inch) of my old, 1st Gen iPhone SE (2016 model), when reading scripture verses the "Related Content" Sidebar pane cannot remain open and "pinned" side-by-side with the verses pane, rather it "overlaps" and grays out the scripture verses behind it.

For larger screen iPhones like the XR or 11 (6.1 inch screens), the Sidebar pane for "Related Content" is pinned and remains open side-by-side with the verses pane.

QUESTION: For the newer iPhone SE models (2 & 3 Generation aka 2020 & 2022 models) with larger 4.7 inch screens, does the Sidebar pane for "Related Content" pin and stay open side-by-side with the scripture verses pane?

Your Yes/No answer will help me determine if I can purchase a newer model iPhone SE and enjoy a pinned Sidebar or not.

NOTE: If I was smarter, I would attach screen shots of what I am describing above. If anyone has a tip how to attach images from my Photos Library on my iPhones, that would be most appreciated. :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: iPhone SE (2 & 3 Gen) usability with Gospel Library App

Post by sbradshaw »

On your iPhone SE, have you tried rotating to landscape and opening the sidebar? I thought all devices could have the sidebar pinned open, when rotated to landscape (but it's possible that's not the case for the smallest current phones). I have an iPhone 13 mini (5.42 inch screen) and the sidebar pins in landscape (as a side note, I would recommend the mini over the SE if your budget allows it – it's likely to have a longer support life from Apple).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dougandr

Post by dougandr »

Thank you Samuel for your prompt response! (And thank you for the Mini recommendation. Unfortunately, I don’t have the budget to allow for the better and larger Mini vs SE.) :(

I totally goofed — I was talking about landscaped mode but never mentioned it once. Dummy me.

Landscape mode on the 1st Gen (2016) SE does not pin. The 4 inch screen is too small.

The newer 2nd & 3rd SE models have a slightly bigger 4.7 inch screen. I would like to know if it pins on those models.

Your 13 mini pins in landscape with a 5.42 inch screen. So pinning starts at least there, the question now is if the 4.7 inch SE screens pass the size threshold for landscape mode to allow pinning.

2nd & 3rd Gen SE users - please weigh in if you can. Thx!
Last edited by dougandr on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougandr

Post by dougandr »

Hello sbradshaw,

I can’t afford a 13 mini, but I can afford a 12 mini (same size as 13). It would be a birthday gift for my wife. Would you be able to help me by sending a screen shot of the Gospel Library App with scripture verse(s) with a pinned “Related Content” Sidebar? “A picture is worth a thousand words” and it would really help me decide on whether I purchase a mini for my wife or not. You could email me the screen shot at:
dlpa.fh at gmail.com

Thank you!

sbradshaw wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:12 am On your iPhone SE, have you tried rotating to landscape and opening the sidebar? I thought all devices could have the sidebar pinned open, when rotated to landscape (but it's possible that's not the case for the smallest current phones). I have an iPhone 13 mini (5.42 inch screen) and the sidebar pins in landscape (as a side note, I would recommend the mini over the SE if your budget allows it – it's likely to have a longer support life from Apple).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

See iPhone 13 mini screenshots, attached. I'll also send the screenshots by email.

I did a little more research and it looks like the cutoff for minimum screen width (in landscape) that supports the pinned sidebar in Gospel Library is currently 680 points. The iPhone SE 2nd and 3rd generation are 667 points: https://www.ios-resolution.com (the point/logical resolution is relevant in this case, not the physical resolution). So, the pinned sidebar won't work on an iPhone SE. That said, I put in some Gospel Library feedback on the issue (you're welcome to as well) to recommend changing the minimum size requirement so it would work on any phone in landscape.

IMG_8A7ED90A6DA6-1.jpeg
IMG_8A7ED90A6DA6-2.jpeg
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dougandr

Post by dougandr »

Samuel, you are totally awesome!! U da Man!

My most heartfelt thanks to you for the excellent screen shots and the extra-mile effort to research minimum screen width. Now I can order a new 12 mini with confidence -- seeing (screen shots) is believing!

I will gladly follow your great suggestion and send feedback for changes to the min landscape width for pinning.

In summary, Had you not mentioned your 13 mini in your initial post, I would not have thought outside the box and discovered a better solution than the SE. As an inferior backup alternative, I was going to purchase an 11 for my wife -- however, she doesn't like the bulky size and extra weight of my XR (same size as 11), so it was going to be a big compromise all the way around, just to get landscape pinning (she is an avid user of the GL App. Pinning on her next phone was her #1 upgrade wish). So now for her birthday she is going to get a smaller form factor like her beloved, aging 1st gen SE, with all of the upgraded whistles and bells of a 5G phone with incredible resolution and improved battery. You saved the day! :)

Once again, a HUGE "Thank you" for your incredible help. Have a great weekend!

D. Andrews

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”