updating a new calling

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Sbsteffen

updating a new calling

Post by Sbsteffen »

I have two calling changes that I am trying to input.

The first one is for an elders quorum instructor in our YSA branch. The computer is not allowing me to make the entry. The only thing I can come up with is that the person called is a recent convert who is 18 years old and is a priest and not an elder.

The second one is for a secretary in the Relief Society YSA. The computer is again not allowing me to make the calling entry. The sister is 17 and will turn 18 on 10/15/2022. I don't know if age is not allowing me make the entry.

I haven't had problems making other calling changes.

Please help!
Thanks.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: updating a new calling

Post by jonesrk »

Many callings require that the person be in the organization that the calling is in, so check on that.

EQ instructor requires a minimum priesthood of Elder.
The minimum age for RS secretary is 16, but they must be in the RS as a class member as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:23 pm EQ instructor requires a minimum priesthood of Elder.
Not questioning the validity, but I'm not finding that in the Handbook anywhere. The closest I can get is that at age 18 he's not yet a "prospective elder" (8.4) but "may" attend EQ. (8.1.2)

Unless it can be found, this may be a shortcoming of the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm Unless it can be found, this may be a shortcoming of the Handbook.
Or they may have changed it with the handbook changes and not passed that on to the group to change the rule in the system.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

As I review the current Handbook, the elders quorum president and his two counselors are the only ones mentioned who are required to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood.

The requirement for other callings seems to be membership in the elders quorum. The Handbook also specifically says that prospective elders are members of the quorum.

This would be a change from my past experience.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jonesrk wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:31 pm
russellhltn wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm Unless it can be found, this may be a shortcoming of the Handbook.
Or they may have changed it with the handbook changes and not passed that on to the group to change the rule in the system.
The requirement was in the prior version of the handbook (see pages 46 and 47 at https://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/leadership ... ch-eng.pdf). That does not appear in the current version. What we don't know is whether this was an intentional change in policy that wasn't communicated to the appropriate team to be updated or whether it was something that just didn't make it into the new handbook but has not changed.

Return to “Membership Help”