"All Day" Calendar Events Set to 3 Days (instead of 1) - for 11 March 2023 and beyond!

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: "All Day" Calendar Events Set to 3 Days (instead of 1) - for 11 March 2023 and beyond!

Post by russellhltn »

They did say "There will be an outage for a few hours that day as we migrate all the data to the new database." It wouldn't surprise me but what "few" turns into "several".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dkarbuckle

Re: "All Day" Calendar Events Set to 3 Days (instead of 1) - for 11 March 2023 and beyond!

Post by dkarbuckle »

jennerporter wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:01 am Is the new calendar system still set to release soon?
I thought I read this was supposed to be updated today, 15 Nov, but I can't seem to find that post now??
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

The new calendar appears to have rolled out.

I love upgrades, but I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this. All the fonts are bigger (less letters fitting in the box) and the all-day designations are no longer in reverse (making them stand out).

I can deal with that, but now to get to a date 8 months from now, I have to page through each month, with load times averaging 10 seconds for each month. Anyone else seeing this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Right now, after several seconds of spinning, I get a blank screen. I'm guessing that the data is still loading. If that's the case, it will likely impact performance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

shimektl wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:02 pm Our stake calendar doesn't work at all now. It first gives a spinney with a grayed-out calendar behind it, then goes completely blank. So I'm assuming they rolled out the new calendar system and had some issues. I'm sure they'll get it worked out, but for now it appears we exchanged known bugs for unknown bugs.
I am getting the same. I just figure it is still loading as it has been all day today. We did have advance notice that that calendar was going to be down. Sure is hard to be patient when so many activities to input for 2023. Hope all goes well.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:54 pm Right now, after several seconds of spinning, I get a blank screen. I'm guessing that the data is still loading.
I also am asked to "Give us a moment..." and then receive total whiteness. I live in a stake with a 7-digit unit number, so if data is being loaded based on unit number, I will probably not have a Calendar for a while still.

There is nothing quite like receiving a clean slate in life.
caillines

Post by caillines »

lajackson wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:05 pm I also am asked to "Give us a moment..." and then receive total whiteness. I live in a stake with a 7-digit unit number, so if data is being loaded based on unit number, I will probably not have a Calendar for a while still.
Mid 6 digit here, seeing the same thing. I guess it's a check in on it in a day or so situation.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

For me it's working now, but it is really slow loading. I have a stake calling so I'm seeing calendars for every unit in the stake, not sure if that's why it's so slow.

There are a lot of things it's missing like:
* quick monthly navigation
* Settings button (calendar subscriptions, sync, manage calendars and users etc. - really surprised that wasn't part of MVP, should be a follow up release coming very soon as that's critical functionality)
* Collapse Units. I can collapse the churchwide calendar group and ALL the calendars in the stake, but neither of those are terribly useful. We need to be able to collapse/expand individual units.
* Agenda View. Not critical but it is a helpful feature
* Can't create an event by clicking on a day
* printing

I agree with others that I don't care for how the all day events look like everything else (especially multi-day events). I also miss the building icons so you could quickly distinguish between an event on a building calendar vs. others. When you create events it defaults to today rather than even the month that you're viewing (which will be painful for entering events for next year since you can't just click on a day you're viewing to create). On top of that, the end date is not based on the start date, so to create an event in June 2023 you have to navigate from today to June 2023 twice. Yikes. The add/modify event is nice that it's a popup rather than replacing the screen, but then it takes so long to save the event that it kind of negates it. So there are still a lot of rough edges to be smoothed out before it's super usable.

Looking at the code there are some comments that tease what's coming in the 2nd release (whenever that is). It looks like it should restore most of the features we had previously (admin options, managing locations and calendars, sync settings, agenda view).

I know the previous calendar front end was written in Angular (it was started just before the church officially switched to React) so it was probably getting hard to maintain. So now it's written in react, but I expect as others have noted we're exchanging a lot of old bugs for new ones. There are a ton of very subtle nuances when it comes to a global calendar and time zones/time changes that can be really hard to get right, so I don't envy the devs that have to deal with that. Hopefully there are lessons learned from previous iterations that the new code has already accounted for, but with the likely developer churn on these types of projects over the years I'm not holding my breath. Maybe at least now that it's rewritten in react it can be maintained better and the new bugs & missing features can be added quicker.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

Has anyone ever been able to search for an event?
casper684

Post by casper684 »

dotson98 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:22 am Has anyone ever been able to search for an event?
Only way I have found is to know what calendar it was on and then only have that calendar show. Had to do that recently for
the Stake bldg FHC. Looking to see how many events were actually scheduled in a 2 year period for another stake that
was allowed access to schedule on it. Only found 4 events so rethinking that access as it complicated our building scheduling.

Return to “Calendar”