"All Day" Calendar Events Set to 3 Days (instead of 1) - for 11 March 2023 and beyond!

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
margiestroble

Re: "All Day" Calendar Events Set to 3 Days (instead of 1) - for 11 March 2023 and beyond!

Post by margiestroble »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:45 pm
Understood. However, it works better if at least the unit does their own scheduling. (Perhaps a clerk or secretary.) That way the event appears to the members of the unit. Things quickly get convoluted when someone outside the ward is tagged with scheduling.
I don't do scheduling for other wards anymore, unless it's like an emergency and nobody can schedule it right then or if there is a conflict of some type, then I will step in and help them. I do all, or most all of the scheduling for the Stake, as well as for my ward.
caillines

Re: "All Day" Calendar Events Set to 3 Days (instead of 1) - for 11 March 2023 and beyond!

Post by caillines »

Ok. So now that access is (at least for the moment) working.
The previously entered whole day events that gained an extra 2 days are still there (but showing as having an extra day at the start now). However upon editing them back to one day, they appear to stick as one day. So it looks like you'll need to go through the calendar and re-fix all the whole-day events manually.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Thanks for the update caillines!
sandycherry

Post by sandycherry »

dotson98 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:34 pm The new calendar appears to have rolled out.

I love upgrades, but I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this. All the fonts are bigger (less letters fitting in the box) and the all-day designations are no longer in reverse (making them stand out).

I can deal with that, but now to get to a date 8 months from now, I have to page through each month, with load times averaging 10 seconds for each month. Anyone else seeing this?
I am seeing the same thing PLUS I'm not seeing anything for the other Wards meeting in the Stake Center that I actually schedule so I can't see what all is going on at the building. Just the Stake calendar and my Ward. And can't get to several months out without having to go thru each page that takes forever. Lots of events loss, time lost. Hope this corrects itself PLEASE!
engljeff

Post by engljeff »

The three day bug seems to have disappeared with this update, but repeating events spanning before and after daylight savings are sometimes adjusted an hour and sometimes not. Trying to figure out how to display events at the correct time is driving me batty and really worried that with populated events into the next daylight savings period everything will have to be adjusted again, anyone else experiencing this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

engljeff wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:32 am but repeating events spanning before and after daylight savings are sometimes adjusted an hour and sometimes not.
Does the problem remain after you edit the event? I was told that events save previously will be different than events saved now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
engljeff

Post by engljeff »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:40 am
engljeff wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:32 am but repeating events spanning before and after daylight savings are sometimes adjusted an hour and sometimes not.
Does the problem remain after you edit the event? I was told that events save previously will be different than events saved now.
I wondered that, so to be more precise, I think I've discovered that existing events do have the weird time issue. If I delete that event, create a new one with the exact same time and title, then the problem persists, but yes, now that I think about it, a new event with a different name, different time, didn't have the problem. I've noticed that there is also a difference between the calendar updating the page and refreshing the browser (some events don't show as adjusted otherwise) but no difference.

I wondered about just breaking up the repeating event into individual monthly entries, but really don't want them to all change the start time when we enter daylight savings again. Think it will?
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

Curious on the dev side.... Why would you care about DST when storing an event? It's going to be at 6pm (example) in DST or out of DST. And when I look at a calendar where the DST change occurs mid-view, I don't look at the events as if they are in/out of DST.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dotson98 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:49 am Curious on the dev side.... Why would you care about DST when storing an event?
World wide, a number of units share a meetinghouse, but operate in different time zones. In order to properly check for conflicts, the event needs to be converted and stored to some kind of standard (like GMT). Add to that church-wide events (like General Conference) which is carried live. Those events need to be displayed in local time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

I would imagine that storing the event in GMT would solve your problems. Then the page can render the date in the current time zone.

Not sure why the display is worried about in/out of DST.

Return to “Calendar”