Chat bubble on website

Discussions about other Church websites
bobdds

Chat bubble on website

Post by bobdds »

I hate with a passion the irritation of the chat bubble. is there a way to disable it? i understand it might be aimed at a certain group of users but I am not one of that group..
davesudweeks

Re: Chat bubble on website

Post by davesudweeks »

bobdds wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 am I hate with a passion the irritation of the chat bubble. is there a way to disable it? i understand it might be aimed at a certain group of users but I am not one of that group..
Probably not. I dislike it as well, but remember, you and I are not the programmer's customers. Their customers are the church departments that direct their work. You can submit feedback (like I have) requesting something to be done about it if you want. That feedback is routed to those who direct the programmer's priorities. You will probably receive the same kind of answer I did since they don't consider "annoying site visitors" to be a problem or defect. If it just stayed small, closed, and out of the way unless clicked on, I wouldn't mind it so much, but it keeps popping open screaming "LOOK AT ME" and gets in the way.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

I don't hate it yet, but my negativism toward it is building. I tried getting the AI to tell me how to disable the automation, but, of course, it didn't get what I typed.

The chat feature isn't visible in Chrome (PC version) and doesn't pop up in Android Firefox app'.

I would vote to have it wait silently for folks to activate it. I wonder if, because it's new, we'll be bugged by 'hello' pop-ups until plenty of site visitors experience it, then pop-ups will switch to silent running. Based on Church IT patterns I've seen, switching to silent may take months or more, if a switch is planned.

Ooooh, maybe this chat thing will be a much better resource for searching the Church's web pages than the search feature has been.

I'll probably change my browser home page from the Church's to something less troublesome soon, then use shortcuts/links to go more directly to resources I regularly need. Work-arounds aren't preferred, but can mitigate.

I feel like there are currently too many Church IT projects for user feedback to be listened to. Several years ago I would get knowledgeable and helpful responses to my occasional comments. The last few years of website support seems much less helpful or customer friendly.

Growing pains ? ?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

We cannot get things fixed there which have been broken for months or even years but they have time for this nonsense. I fail to see the professional management or even the inspiration in these decisions. And after logging in they don't know I'm a member, shaking my head here. Someone in charge needs to do focus groups with the clerks and members on these issues.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I guess I do not get out much, but I do no recall ever seeing a chat bubble at a Church website. Where would I need to go to have such an annoying experience?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:57 pm I guess I do not get out much, but I do no recall ever seeing a chat bubble at a Church website. Where would I need to go to have such an annoying experience?
I was able to see it on the homepage using an incognito window in Chrome.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jonesrk wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:10 pm
lajackson wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:57 pm I guess I do not get out much, but I do no recall ever seeing a chat bubble at a Church website. Where would I need to go to have such an annoying experience?
I just tried again and this time it is started small and stayed that way for 20+ seconds.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:12 pm
jonesrk wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:10 pm
I just tried again and this time it is started small and stayed that way for 20+ seconds.
Okay. I see it. I have never noticed it before. It sits there at the bottom right as a 1/2-inch circle and does nothing unless I click on it.

So I clicked on it, read the question, ignored and did not answer it, and clicked the X to close the box. It is sitting there in the corner once again causing no problem at all as a 1/2-inch circle doing nothing.

I am running Firefox 102.0.1 over Win10.

I am obliged to point out here that the question seems kind of silly for me. Am I a member? Is not the mighty power of the massive server farm able to divine that my MRN is attached to my account? Is there another standard for determining membership of which I am unaware?

Okay, I was already signed in when I went to the site, so I may have the miffing not-signed-in experience the next time I go there before I sign in somewhere else in the multiverse of madness. Even so, I still do not remember seeing it before until just a few minutes ago when I went there before I responded to this post.

So, thanks for pointing it out to me. At least the home page is not redirecting any longer to someplace other than where the Church thought it was redirecting. Perhaps the Chat bubble is intended to replace the redirection?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

For me, the chat bubble is on the website when I use the chrome browser on my work computer (I do FamilySearch research or indexing on my lunch break at my desk and sometimes check the church web page). After a few seconds (whether or not I was signed in), the chat bubble opened a chat window without clicking on it. This happened every time I refreshed or went to the main page.

Here on my home PC using the Chrome browser, the chat bubble doesn't even show up this evening.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm having the opposite experience: it doesn't appear on my work machine, but I see the small bubble on my home machine. Both running Chrome. I was logged into the forum both times when I opened the page in a new tab.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Websites”