Awesome command-line cross-platform media player (including for Android)

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Awesome command-line cross-platform media player (including for Android)

Post by sbradshaw »

vilzveerd wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:30 am Here's an M3U playlist of all the currently available MP3 General Conference talks (and associated meetings) from April 1971 to October 2022:
General Conference talks.m3u.zip

So, while the file in the archive above is perfectly usable for streaming with mpv, you should note that you can also use it to download the files, if you have wget installed.

To download them all (so they're on your computer for use without the Internet), unzip the file, install wget (if you don't have it installed already) and from the command-line from the same directory as the .m3u file, type:

wget -i "General Conference talks.m3u"

Make sure you're in the directory where you want the files to download to.

Then all you have to do is wait a really long time, and you should have all the MP3s. You can download the MP3 scriptures and music from the M3U files above, this way, too.
Wow, I'll bet it took a while to gather all those URLs. Thanks!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
munaish

Post by munaish »

sbradshaw wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:10 pm Wow, I'll bet it took a while to gather all those URLs. Thanks!
:) You're welcome!
tbarnesiv

Post by tbarnesiv »

munaish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:30 am Here's an M3U playlist of all the currently available MP3 General Conference talks (and associated meetings) from April 1971 to October 2022:

So, while the file in the archive above is perfectly usable for streaming with mpv, you should note that you can also use it to download the files, if you have wget installed.

To download them all (so they're on your computer for use without the Internet), unzip the file, install wget (if you don't have it installed already) and from the command-line from the same directory as the .m3u file, type:

Then all you have to do is wait a really long time, and you should have all the MP3s. You can download the MP3 scriptures and music from the M3U files above, this way, too.
Is there a way to get an updated version (that includes April 2023) of this without manually clicking on every conference talk on the church site?
munaish

Post by munaish »

tbarnesiv wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:45 am
munaish wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:30 am Here's an M3U playlist of all the currently available MP3 General Conference talks (and associated meetings) from April 1971 to October 2022:

Is there a way to get an updated version (that includes April 2023) of this without manually clicking on every conference talk on the church site?
Here you go! It should be updated to include the April 2023 General Conference, now:
(29.94 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
tbarnesiv

Post by tbarnesiv »

@munaish Thank you again for the update!

Does anyone know of a way to generate lists of these URLs without trial and error or manually clicking each link?
munaish

Post by munaish »

tbarnesiv wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:23 am @munaish Thank you again for the update!

Does anyone know of a way to generate lists of these URLs without trial and error or manually clicking each link?
Probably, but unless you have a certain skill-set and/or the appropriate software then manually clicking each link is probably going to be faster, easier, less time-consuming, and less of a headache.

Plain old web scraping doesn't seem feasible in this case, unfortunately.

However, you could probably use macros and/or artificial intelligence to aid you in collecting them, if you know how to do that. I don't do a lot with macros, and I don't have any specialized AI software for that sort of thing. So, I couldn't tell you what to do.

Anyway, I still need to update those lists with the previous conference, and with this one when they're available. I hope to do it when the new ones become available. It doesn't take long to do two conferences. It takes a time to do all of them, though (but the rest of them have already been done)! :)
munaish

Post by munaish »

Okay, all the new General Conference MP3s aren't out, yet, but here's the file updated including October 2023's General Conference MP3s:
(30.24 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
munaish

Post by munaish »

Here's the updated General Conference talk MP3 URL list, which includes the latest General Conference and the older ones:
(30.52 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Don't forget that you can download them all in one go with wget by doing `wget -i "General Conference talks.m3u"`, but if you've already downloaded the previous MP3 files, don't download them all all over again; use the following file instead (which only has the latest conference):
April2024GeneralConference.m3u.zip
(748 Bytes) Downloaded 10 times

As a side note, I wanted to point out that I think it's actually more spiritually uplifting to listen to a whole session at a time, than random talks, but it's nice to be able to listen to random talks, still.

Return to “Links & Resources”