Why are italicized things now bold, italics, and in a different font?

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

UtahJohn22

Why are italicized things now bold, italics, and in a different font?

Post by UtahJohn22 »

I have noticed that now the italicized text on the Windows app is bold, italic, and in a different font from the rest of my text (see screen shot attached). This is not a problem on the Android version, where the italics is simply italic and not a different font. Is there a reason for this or a fix planned for this?
Attachments
gl screenshot.jpg
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Why are italicized things now bold, italics, and in a different font?

Post by aebrown »

UtahJohn22 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:54 am I have noticed that now the italicized text on the Windows app is bold, italic, and in a different font from the rest of my text (see screen shot attached). This is not a problem on the Android version, where the italics is simply italic and not a different font. Is there a reason for this or a fix planned for this?
I don't know anything about any plans for Gospel Library Windows in this regard. But here are a couple of observations:
  • When I have the font set (under Settings > Appearance) to Default, I don't see this behavior (see my screen shot below). The italicized text is simply in italics (it appears to be a font like Sketch Caslon Italic), but it is not bolded. And the font seems to be a reasonable italics variant of the base font.
  • I'm guessing you have your font set to something like Calibri. When I choose Calibri, I do see the odd appearance you described.
  • In this case, it looks like the app is trying to display the normal and bold text in the font selected in Settings, but for some reason still uses the default italics font but also bolds it.
If my analysis happens to be correct, and you don't mind the Default font, you might consider changing to that in your Settings to have a more consistent display. I don't have any other suggestions.
glw-1.png

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”