Yahoo inbox not receiving church emails

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
rachoo78

Re: Yahoo inbox not receiving church emails

Post by rachoo78 »

Same this is happening to me for several months now. I changed my church email to my gmail account (instead of yahoo) and now I’m receiving emails from the church again.
I received a message from the church’s tech department.

“ We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. Unfortunately, at this time Yahoo has chosen to block the sending and receiving of all messages from the Church in general, as well as those sent locally by local leaders. Yahoo believes these messages are spam messages. Not only are they blocking messages, but they are sharing their list of businesses/groups who they they have blocked with other providers. Our developers are in negotiations with Yahoo, but they are moving slowly. The best course of action is to have those with blocked accounts contact their providers and let them know that they want to receive these messages.

If you have another email address from a different provider, you may want to add it to your membership record as a temporary workaround. There is no guarantee that the other provider will not also be blocking messages, though.

We hope to see a resolution to this problem soon - it is affecting many leaders and members worldwide.”
evag85

Post by evag85 »

For the past month, my husband and I have not been receiving emails. That includes when we make donations and emails sent through the church's leadership site from the stake and ward. I know that a while back there were some issues with those that used Yahoo. I even checked my spam folder and nothing was there either.
amcpherson

Post by amcpherson »

One of the high councilors in our stake (who also works for Family Search) just told me that he confirmed with the Church that Yahoo has blacklisted the send tool. (not sure why)

[Moderator's Note: The Moderators have not verified this information. Some users with Yahoo accounts still receive email from Send a Message, although it seems that many or most do not.]

At a minimum, you should alert the Yahoo email users in your organization/ward of this phenomenon, so they can decide for themselves if they want to switch providers (not always an easy decision, I know).

In the meantime, there are a couple of options (some more feasible than others):

1. Have the Yahoo email users change their church email address to a non-Yahoo address.
2. Maintain a list of Yahoo email users (which you can get from Reports, Member List) and forward the Church emails from your own account.
- I always include myself as a recipient when sending mass emails, so when I get that email, I just forward it to the dozen or so Yahoo users in my organization/ward.
3. Don't use the Church email system, but rather get a list of all email addresses (again, from Reports, Member List) and send the email from your own personal account (using BCC, so as not to reveal anyone's email address that is marked private).

You can determine the feasibility of each of these options. Hope this helps.

[A Moderator has added to this post.]
jwthomasbennion

Post by jwthomasbennion »

It's been 4 months. Is this issue and thread still active?
Or has it been merged to another thread?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jwthomasbennion wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:39 pm Is this issue and thread still active?
The issue is still ongoing; it has not been resolved. They are still working on it. There are a number of other threads on the church email system not sending from certain domains to certain email providers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
arribasn

Post by arribasn »

Glad I stubbled on this thread. I have (well since have changed to gmail) a yahoo account and was wondering why I was getting no quorum emails (even filtered in spam) but this explains it. Honestly I'm not sure why emails at the ward or even stake level come from a do-not-reply style address. Perhaps the secretary or corresponding body (or individual) that the group email is sent from should be the default return email.
caillines

Post by caillines »

It's not the do-not-reply style address that is the problem on its own, as that is a pretty standard thing. The Yahoo issue is apparently the "quality" of the messages that are being sent. A secondary issue is that as there is no simple "don't include this member in bulk emails" option, clerks have been changing email addresses to invalid ones, causing lots of bounces, and thus blocks.
orionw

Post by orionw »

Can anyone comment on whether this is still an issue?

Thanks!

Orion Wood
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

orionw wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:26 pm Can anyone comment on whether this is still an issue?
It is. And it probably will be for some time until a concerted effort is made to clean up the email addresses to which the Church is trying to send. I have heard that there are some other attempted fixes in process, as well.
sarahjune23

Post by sarahjune23 »

Does anyone know if the Yahoo issue has been resolved? I'm still not receiving church emails to my Yahoo account, and others in our ward are not as well.

Return to “General Discussions”