Yahoo inbox not receiving church emails

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mattprasmussen

Re: Yahoo inbox not receiving church emails

Post by mattprasmussen »

sarahjune23 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:29 am Does anyone know if the Yahoo issue has been resolved? I'm still not receiving church emails to my Yahoo account, and others in our ward are not as well.
This issue has not been resolved and honestly doesn't seem like it will be resolved at all. It's very frustrating as a Yahoo Mail user since 2001 to have to resort to a new email address for my church calling.

It's also really disappointing that the church technology leaders have allowed church email use to get out of hand to the point that Yahoo is blocking the email. No option to opt out was ever offered. No option to preclude email addresses of antagonistic members was provided to unit leaders. The responsibility to manage email lists pushed to unit clerks was too unwieldly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mattprasmussen wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:24 pm It's also really disappointing that the church technology leaders have allowed church email use to get out of hand to the point that Yahoo is blocking the email. No option to opt out was ever offered. No option to preclude email addresses of antagonistic members was provided to unit leaders. The responsibility to manage email lists pushed to unit clerks was too unwieldly.
I'm not sure how you're defining "technology leaders", but I doubt if this was their decision. I suspect it came from higher up.

A "Local Leader Email" has appeared in the subscription options, so it appears changes are coming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 pm
mattprasmussen wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:24 pm It's also really disappointing that the church technology leaders have allowed church email use to get out of hand to the point that Yahoo is blocking the email. No option to opt out was ever offered. No option to preclude email addresses of antagonistic members was provided to unit leaders. The responsibility to manage email lists pushed to unit clerks was too unwieldly.
I'm not sure how you're defining "technology leaders", but I doubt if this was their decision. I suspect it came from higher up.
I'm not singling you out personally Russ, but it's across this site is the tendency to pass the blame of how this happened to "higher ups" as if the "higher up" people don't understand technology. Yes, there is an appointed Seventy or some level of general authority who is over technology at church headquarters who makes decisions. However, he makes decisions with the input of others, including the IT staff who build and maintain Church systems and those who understand the legalities of emailing constituents - not in a vacuum of the Church Office Building. That group of technology leaders has allowed this to happen. It's not at a level to require news articles about the issue, but it could have been prevented.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mattprasmussen wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:58 pm I'm not singling you out personally Russ, but it's across this site is the tendency to pass the blame of how this happened to "higher ups" as if the "higher up" people don't understand technology. Yes, there is an appointed Seventy or some level of general authority who is over technology at church headquarters who makes decisions. However, he makes decisions with the input of others, including the IT staff who build and maintain Church systems and those who understand the legalities of emailing constituents - not in a vacuum of the Church Office Building. That group of technology leaders has allowed this to happen. It's not at a level to require news articles about the issue, but it could have been prevented.
I agree it could have been prevented. It's entirely possible the leaders were warned. But I've seen enough conversations with developers to see a pattern of "we implemented the business rules as they were handed down to us." They're not allowed to implement features that were not approved.

Where the fault lies, we can't say for sure. But I am sure it's not with the developers. Beyond that, we're both speculating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

I used to work for Bluehost / Hostmonster and via my training I researched and found these issues and others and thought you might appreciate the information.

5 Problems
Category Host Result
Status Warning smtp ldschurch-org.mail.protection.outlook.com May be an open relay. information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org At least one name server failed to respond in a timely manner information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org Local NS list does not match Parent NS list information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org Name Servers are on the Same Subnet information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid information More Info

Domain is close to Expiration
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

simph1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:02 pm I used to work for Bluehost / Hostmonster and via my training I researched and found these issues and others and thought you might appreciate the information.

5 Problems
Category Host Result
Status Warning smtp ldschurch-org.mail.protection.outlook.com May be an open relay. information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org At least one name server failed to respond in a timely manner information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org Local NS list does not match Parent NS list information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org Name Servers are on the Same Subnet information More Info
Status Warning dns ldschurch.org SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid information More Info

However, the church is moving away from "LDS". I'm pretty sure that domain was dropped from use some time ago - at least as far as sending messages from LCR.

What do you find if you run the same query for churchofjesuschrist.org?

simph1

Post by simph1 »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:04 pm
simph1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:02 pm I used to work for Bluehost / Hostmonster and via my training I researched and found these issues and others and thought you might appreciate the information.

5 Problems
Category Host Result

However, the church is moving away from "LDS". I'm pretty sure that domain was dropped from use some time ago - at least as far as sending messages from LCR.

What do you find if you run the same query for churchofjesuschrist.org?
They are still using the other ldschurch.org as I have had very recent emails from the elders quorum presidency. As it is showing as user@ldschurch.org in the from box of the email header. Until they change it, it will continue to show as ldschurch.org. I hope that helps, which is why it is pointless right now to check the other domain since they are still using ldschurch if that makes sense?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

simph1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:31 pm They are still using the other ldschurch.org as I have had very recent emails from the elders quorum presidency. As it is showing as user@ldschurch.org in the from box of the email header. Until they change it, it will continue to show as ldschurch.org. I hope that helps, which is why it is pointless right now to check the other domain since they are still using ldschurch if that makes sense?
Since July, the email I get via LCR are in the format
from: (sender's name) <noreply-lcr@mail.churchofjesuschrist.org>
reply-to: (sender's email address)

The format user@ldschurch.org or user@churchofjesuschrist.org is for church employees, not local leaders. I haven't see the sender as @ldschurch.org in many months if not years.

I'm suspecting you have an EQ President that's a church employee using their work account (that they haven't updated) and sending to a list rather than going though LCR.

simph1

Post by simph1 »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 pm
simph1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:31 pm They are still using the other ldschurch.org as I have had very recent emails from the elders quorum presidency. As it is showing as user@ldschurch.org in the from box of the email header. Until they change it, it will continue to show as ldschurch.org. I hope that helps, which is why it is pointless right now to check the other domain since they are still using ldschurch if that makes sense?
Since July, the email I get via LCR are in the format
from: (sender's name) <noreply-lcr@mail.churchofjesuschrist.org>
reply-to: (sender's email address)

The format user@ldschurch.org or user@churchofjesuschrist.org is for church employees, not local leaders. I haven't see the sender as @ldschurch.org in many months if not years.

I'm suspecting you have an EQ President that's a church employee using their work account (that they haven't updated) and sending to a list rather than going though LCR.
That makes sense. I will find out and let you know my findings.
Thank you.
brenda_s1

Post by brenda_s1 »

It's interesting that when I changed my church email to a gmail.com address and then set my gmail account to forward to my verizon.net email account, those messages from the LCR system aren't being forwarded. and get the error below:

Message blocked
Your message to myemail@verizon.net has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.
The response from the remote server was:
554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. See https://postmaster.yahooinc.com/error-codes

Here's what the yahoo postmaster link says about 554 SMTP error codes:
- A 553 or 554 SMTP error indicates an email could not be delivered due to a permanent problem. Message delivery can be permanently deferred because:
- You're trying to send a message to an invalid email address.
- Your message failed authentication checks against your sending domain's DMARC or DKIM policy.
- The message contains characteristics that Yahoo won't accept for policy reasons.
- Other suspicious behavior which leads Yahoo to issue a permanent rejection for your SMTP connection.
- Your IP is listed by Spamhaus. Please check with https://www.spamhaus.org.
- If you consistently receive 5xx errors when sending to Yahoo, we encourage you to review our Sender Best Practices, since 5xx errors can be a symptom of a more widespread, general problem.
- You should not retry sending an email that comes back with with a 5xx error. List managers should have a policy for removing email addresses that generate 5xx errors/bounces.

It seems yahoo thinks the church emails are spam and not authenticated. This has been going on almost a year. Why isn't anyone working to get this resolved?

Return to “General Discussions”