Discontinuation of AMFA categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Discontinuation of AMFA categories

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am Shouldn't funds from members for a camp or conference be used for that camp or conference, so there would be nothing to roll over at the end of the year?
Yes, but how is that going to be tracked/enforced with the camp funds now tucked away in budget?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:05 am
sbradshaw wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am Shouldn't funds from members for a camp or conference be used for that camp or conference, so there would be nothing to roll over at the end of the year?
Yes, but how is that going to be tracked/enforced with the camp funds now tucked away in budget?
Isn't everything going to be in Budget:Sub-accounts just as it was in Other:AFMA:Sub-Accounts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:53 am Isn't everything going to be in Budget:Sub-accounts just as it was in Other:AFMA:Sub-Accounts?
It's been understood that "Other" needs to come back to zero. It was an easy red flag for auditors. Now, they'll have to try and find where the money has been put. If it's a sub account, then it's not to bad but still not standardized across the church, or even the stake. If it hasn't been broken out, then the auditor is going to be in for a long audit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 pm It's been understood that "Other" needs to come back to zero. It was an easy red flag for auditors. Now, they'll have to try and find where the money has been put. If it's a sub account, then it's not to bad but still not standardized across the church, or even the stake. If it hasn't been broken out, then the auditor is going to be in for a long audit.
The audit forms no longer have any question related to the Other or AFMA accounts, nor do they have anything about camp payments or fundraisers. Even if an auditor wanted to check this, I'm not sure where they would write up an exception. It doesn't fit into any of the questions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:54 pm The audit forms no longer have any question related to the Other or AFMA accounts, nor do they have anything about camp payments or fundraisers.
Interesting. However, it's probably too soon to add guidance relating to new "camp within the budget", just removing what no longer applies.

But I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a transition to something else.

kjheinz

Post by kjheinz »

Just a suggestion. How about creating sub accounts under the "Misc Account" that covers all the different camp expenses (ie. YW, YM, Primary). In this way the YW budget account would be separated from YW Camp and would help them to know how much the YW budget is versus the YW Camp account. Your thoughts?

Also, from a Stake prospective, I also have many "other" accounts that involve Multi Stake Activities which I will need to create sub-accounts for.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 pm
lajackson wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:53 am Isn't everything going to be in Budget:Sub-accounts just as it was in Other:AFMA:Sub-Accounts?
Now, they'll have to try and find where the money has been put. If it's a sub account, then it's not to bad . . .
Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Is there anything to keep a clerk from establishing the same sub-accounts under Budget that were established under Other:AFMA? Unless there is instruction to the contrary, that would be my starting position.
larry19810

Post by larry19810 »

I have a question on this topic. The new instruction s include this for handling copayments for camp: "The process does not change: The member will still fill out a donation slip (“Tithings and Fast Offerings” form) and write the purpose on the “Other” space at the bottom of the slip (for example, “Young Women Camp”). The clerk will record it under the appropriate category using LCRF (for example, Budget: Young Women)."

But the online donation slip no longer has an 'Other category' and there never was a 'budget' category or a 'local' category. How do i as a clerk inform parents and how do I accept money into the new version of this process? Even if they give me a paper check (97% of our ward no longer do checks), I don't see how I can accept them in our donation processing stream. We only have access to the same categories that show on the donation slip online. (I have already submitted this question as a feedback on the website so this question in the forum is just for further discussion or answers from someone who has already figured it out.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:28 pm Is there anything to keep a clerk from establishing the same sub-accounts under Budget that were established under Other:AFMA? Unless there is instruction to the contrary, that would be my starting position.
Nothing to prevent them, but apparently, nothing to require them. That's where the fun really starts.

I agree that creating them would be a good plan. I like kjheinz's the idea of keeping them separate and not a sub-account of YM/YW/Primary.

mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

larry19810 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:45 pm I have a question on this topic. The new instruction s include this for handling copayments for camp: "The process does not change: The member will still fill out a donation slip (“Tithings and Fast Offerings” form) and write the purpose on the “Other” space at the bottom of the slip (for example, “Young Women Camp”). The clerk will record it under the appropriate category using LCRF (for example, Budget: Young Women)."

But the online donation slip no longer has an 'Other category' and there never was a 'budget' category or a 'local' category. How do i as a clerk inform parents and how do I accept money into the new version of this process? Even if they give me a paper check (97% of our ward no longer do checks), I don't see how I can accept them in our donation processing stream. We only have access to the same categories that show on the donation slip online. (I have already submitted this question as a feedback on the website so this question in the forum is just for further discussion or answers from someone who has already figured it out.)
It's actually not a different process at all for the ward member under this change, just how we record it in LCR. Previously, members did not have a way to contribute online to a locally funded activity like a camp, only through a physical donation slip and envelope. The "Other" category online was never supposed to be used for this type of purpose. I believe that's one of the reasons for the consolidation of categories and name changes of "Other" to "Local," was to clarify this fact for members about what can and can't be done online. Unfortunately, physical checks and cash donations given in-person are the only method for the formerly named Authorized Member Financed Activities.

Someone please correct me if I misspeak.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”