Multicast enable in Stake Center?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
wgotzmann

Multicast enable in Stake Center?

Post by wgotzmann »

I am new to my calling and workign to provide options for Multiple Video receives for Conferences etc.

The need or preference to have Multicast enabled on the local network would be helpful. I gather this is in the Router Has anyone looked at this ?

In learning and reviewing what could be done - I found the NDI is one of the newest and most flexible free methods to tranmit recieve video Audio to do this. NDI 5.5 software

We can use OBS ( Open Broadcast Studio) the output to the network - 6-8 stream TVs or projectors in various locations - the receivers can be Laptops if they are robust enough (NDI Monitor) - But I found that the New Apple TVs have NDI APP which will allow them to recieve the (Sienna NDI) broadcasts ( very easy to use) they work much better than most laptops in this function. testing 4 streams works well

The band width used can add up with typical network infrastructure Unicast. Verse - Multicast that is used on large-scale and video transmission arrangments. This has also been suggested in NDI groups as the one-go-to method to improve the network efficiency.

I phoned GSL tech help, so far they were not aware or unsure if this can be done.

The main router is my next step in reviewing myself - but not sure if this is pass word protected etc. for the Stake Techs Reps

We have a new 24 port POE main switch which has helped get us this far.

Thanks for your thoughts
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Multicast enable in Stake Center?

Post by russellhltn »

The router and switches are under the control of Church Headquarters. You have limited access for things like assigning static IPs via the Church Network Manager website.

If it allows this, great. If not, I suggest you work on another plan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

Thanks - I guess I may not be clear - I have been doing this set up already
Working reasonably well - with 4 devices - we want to add more as requested by Stake Pres.

There really is no other option other than running a parrallel system ! cables etc. Not what we will do.

The existing coax system in the building for video is ..... not working well poor quality very basic video ghosting connection issue and still running cable all over the floor !

The building will get an upgrade next year sometime but - that will also be limited to all HDMI connections in only certain locations only. This would compliment the New system

But thank you - I will check out the router regardless
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The router belongs to the church, not the stake. It's part of an Enterprise system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

wgotzmann wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:32 pm The building will get an upgrade next year sometime but - that will also be limited to all HDMI connections in only certain locations only.
When our building was upgraded a couple of years ago, I was impressed with the quality of gear they used. The HDMI extenders (all 4k capable, BTW) went to MANY of the larger rooms in the stake center. Some had HDMI inputs that could optionally route to the rest of the building. Zero lag time, zero hassle, it just worked. I would hold off doing anything additional to your existing system until after the upgrade. Chances are, you won't need anything else.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest working with the FM group to let them know what rooms you need the video in. Otherwise, they'll probably guess which ones need it.

wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

I appreciate all the feedback

1. Mike - Yes I have seen what the new system will use - I have the plans "HDbaseT" system - but it is limited in some areas BUT 100% usable - This is a totally separate network outside of the building "standard network". I had planned to add some items that would be compatible with the HDMI systems and useable for other situations. eg( Wireless HDMI for the camera in bad location)
The problem with "HDMI outlets" is they still need to be run some distance or on the floor for us. We can not get them in all the locations we would like. Building design limitations for cables etc.
Russel - FM and the contractors have been great to speak with !! no problem communicating

2. FYI I have had GSC come back and confirm Multicast is enabled as Broadcast in the router - which I am fine with.

"After digging into your question I have an answer. The short version is no, there is no way to change the multicast setting on the router however it is currently on. It is just told to send all multicast traffic as a broadcast. So you ether need your own switch so some other device to pair down the traffic to achieve what you want."

By the way, what Camera if any are people using for a "straight on podium shot" for speakers? - The location we used is not great in the middle of the pews on a tripod - no power or access to connect easily.

No way to attach a file here to show you the layout.
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

I wanted to follow up on our first Stake conference meetings and NDI use via Apple TVs

While "Salt lake Tech" told me the Router will have multi-cast enabled - that was not true. When we sent NDI out over the network it required individual streams. I ended up seeing up to 650-850mb/s of data from the computer- going to the 5 NDI receivers
Great video and It still worked well, 1080P but I was worried it would drop out. This part worked great, because the new 24-port switch installed

We had everything running through OBS which output NDI. House sound via mixing board and then back to Zoom. It still needs some changes to fine tune but it worked.
There was some sound delay which we need to deal with in OBS

Zoom was receiving video via "OBS virtual camera" feed

Audio was more tricky - it worked but needs more work - to control and monitor better - Another STS suggested Voicemeeter to patch the connections
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

By the way this is the Video layout - if any one is interested
Stake Net work Proposed apple3.pdf
(128.75 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
jnpetersen

Post by jnpetersen »

wgotzmann wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:08 am I appreciate all the feedback

1. Mike - Yes I have seen what the new system will use - I have the plans "HDbaseT" system - but it is limited in some areas BUT 100% usable - This is a totally separate network outside of the building "standard network". I had planned to add some items that would be compatible with the HDMI systems and useable for other situations. eg( Wireless HDMI for the camera in bad location)
The problem with "HDMI outlets" is they still need to be run some distance or on the floor for us. We can not get them in all the locations we would like. Building design limitations for cables etc.
Russel - FM and the contractors have been great to speak with !! no problem communicating

2. FYI I have had GSC come back and confirm Multicast is enabled as Broadcast in the router - which I am fine with.

"After digging into your question I have an answer. The short version is no, there is no way to change the multicast setting on the router however it is currently on. It is just told to send all multicast traffic as a broadcast. So you ether need your own switch so some other device to pair down the traffic to achieve what you want."

By the way, what Camera if any are people using for a "straight on podium shot" for speakers? - The location we used is not great in the middle of the pews on a tripod - no power or access to connect easily.

No way to attach a file here to show you the layout.
My stake had that discussion about location of camera(s). During the pandemic, no one other than the stake presidency was at the building (at stake conference), so we were able to setup a mirrorless camera on a tripod using a USB HDMI input to then pull that into OBS which allowed us to place lower thirds, and then we used the NDI stream from OBS to another computer handling the push out to zoom. It worked well and gave us the direct on pulpit view.

When restrictions lifted, more started to attend in the building, our stake decided we needed to relocate and give a consistent feel at all buildings (not all buildings were the exact same setup), so our stake received 1 camera (I had to work with FM group to get the NDI model of what they sent, which was fantastic that they would do that) and then we purchased 3 additional cameras so we could have 1 in each chapel (these cameras and install were out of our stakes pocket). We wired the sound system directly into the camera (no feed from organ though) which allowed easy training on how to access the camera with the NDI Webcam Input, and then utilizing that to bring the audio and video into zoom webinar. Our stake felt that the placement of the cameras gave a better view, be it that its not directly in front of the pulpit, but still gives a better experience than all previous setups. Now it's easy that if any Ward is needing the building for some type of presentation, funeral, etc that each Ward has someone who knows how to access this and get it going.

As far as getting the feed to where I need it in the building, I utilized some networkable UTP HDMI extenders which worked fantastic, after getting my setup with OBS and Audio Hijack (I'm a mac user) to route the audio to the output display I was using. We were able to feed the OBS output to 2 RS rooms, our ward chapel, and then we were able to have a laptop on standby ready to connect using the NDI Studio Monitor for our multi-purpose room if needed.
IMG_1126.jpg

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”