Hymns

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Hymns

Post by lajackson »

The new Hymns section of Gospel Library is nice, but in April I submitted a feature request to the Global Services Department to add the extra verses at the bottom of the display for those hymns that have them. I was caught once again today at church without the extra verses as we sang our sacrament hymn.

The response from GSD in April was that this was a known bug and that a fix should be released "very soon." The response also said that I should be able to adjust my operating system font size in my system settings for the time being to cause the footer information to appear. Not only are the extra verses missing, but there is no author/composer, scripture reference, or any other footer information for any of the hymns in GL.

I sent another note to the GSD this evening telling them that I have not been able to find any system font size setting that will cause the footer information to appear. Has anyone else noticed this problem and been able to work around it? They also hinted that this was an Android only problem. So it would be nice to hear from an iOS person that the footer information is really there.

As for a fix "very soon", I have been around long enough to know that this was a poor choice of hopeful wording.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Hymns

Post by russellhltn »

When viewing the sheet music, there's two tabs above it: "Sheet Music" and "Lyrics". Switch to "Lyrics" mode and you'll see all the verses and the footer. But you'll lose the musical notation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

iOS has the same problem you are seeing on Android on the sheet music. It also is quite squashed left to right, hard to follow.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:51 pm When viewing the sheet music, there's two tabs above it: "Sheet Music" and "Lyrics". Switch to "Lyrics" mode and you'll see all the verses and the footer.
Wow! How did I miss that?

Wait! I know exactly how. The two tabs were not displayed while I was singing and ran out of verses.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

garystroble wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:28 am iOS has the same problem you are seeing on Android on the sheet music. It also is quite squashed left to right, hard to follow.
Forgot I just need to hold the phone sideways, that fixes the squashed part.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

garystroble wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 am Forgot I just need to hold the phone sideways, that fixes the squashed part.
Yes, and if you double tap (at least in Android) the extra stuff at the top and bottom will disappear so you actually get a nice display of the hymn and music.

And as soon as you double tap, the Sheet Music and Lyrics tabs conveniently go away as well!
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

lajackson wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:32 am
garystroble wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 am Forgot I just need to hold the phone sideways, that fixes the squashed part.
Yes, and if you double tap (at least in Android) the extra stuff at the top and bottom will disappear so you actually get a nice display of the hymn and music.

And as soon as you double tap, the Sheet Music and Lyrics tabs conveniently go away as well!
Great, thanks!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like the support team in the Global Services Department is using an old response for a bug where the right edge of the sheet music was being cut off on Android. That bug was fixed in March, and isn't at all related to additional verses not showing.

The additional verses don't show under the sheet music on Android or iOS – they were never added, when Gospel Library switched to reflowable sheet music in 6.1.0. But I agree that it would be helpful to have the additional verses there, if it could be prioritized for the development team.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

garystroble wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 am
garystroble wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:28 am iOS has the same problem you are seeing on Android on the sheet music. It also is quite squashed left to right, hard to follow.
Forgot I just need to hold the phone sideways, that fixes the squashed part.
You can also use the "Resize Sheet Music" option in the overflow menu (three dots in the top right) to adjust how compact/squashed the sheet music is.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”