2-step verification

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
farmerjd28

2-step verification

Post by farmerjd28 »

Being a Church Service Missionary I have been required to set up 2-step verification on my login. I have no problems using that to get into my church account but when I try to log in to my gospel library app I get the attached screen telling me that I need to use 2-step verification but it doesn't provide me with a way to do it.
When I go to the gospel library via my church account it opens the app with the same problem.
It has been a month with many unanswered requests to the gospel library request for help.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you,
John Farmer
Attachments
Screenshot_20220822-232603_Gospel Library.jpg
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: 2-step verification

Post by sbradshaw »

Which authentication option(s) do you have enabled under Account.ChurchofJesusChrist.org > Two-Step Verification?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
farmerjd28

Post by farmerjd28 »

Biometric or pin on my phone. On my computer I get a QR code that I scan with my phone and then use biometric.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

When I go to Account.ChurchofJesusChrist.org I only see four options: Text Message, Okta Verify App, Google Authenticator, and Security Key. I don't see a biometric option…
farmerjd28

Post by farmerjd28 »

I get the attached screen shot. If I pick new android phone I get a QR code to scan with my phone. If I pick the exiting phone I get a biometric prompt on my phone.
Works great for everything except gospel library and no one at the help desk will help me
20220908_122029.jpg
farmerjd28

Post by farmerjd28 »

This is what my account checkup says is my 2 step.
Built in authenticator, FIDO
Attachments
16626618242506992273888124156077.jpg
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thanks! That's helpful. I just talked to the Android Gospel Library developer. It looks like all of the Church mobile apps only support text message, Okta Verify, and Google Authenticator two-step verification methods currently. I'll pass along a suggestion that if we're not able to support the "Security Key or Built-in Authenticator" option, we should show a better error message instead of letting users get stuck on the sign-in screen without more information.

As a workaround, in the meantime, it should be possible to set up more than one verification option, for example, if you wanted to set up both FIDO and text message, so you can continue to use FIDO for the Church website, but have the other option available for the mobile apps.
farmerjd28

Post by farmerjd28 »

Thanks so much! I will try that.
Maybe the gospel library app could just not require 2 step. Seems overly burdensome for something that just contains my scripture notes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

farmerjd28 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:10 pm Maybe the gospel library app could just not require 2 step. Seems overly burdensome for something that just contains my scripture notes.
I agree it seems like overkill for GL, but it depends on how the back end is structured to know if it could be done without creating a vulnerability to bypass 2FA for other apps.
sbradshaw indicated that this affects Member Tools as well. That's very important to a lot of people and there would be no 2FA exemption for that.

It seems what's really needed is to add the missing choices to the mobile apps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
randyceniza

Post by randyceniza »

Hello everyone,

Just this week I formatted my phone, and so I need to re-install Okta Verification again on my phone. The problem is, I can't set it up or I can't get within the setup. Any advice? Another problem is, ,once the 30 days is over, I think I can no longer log in to my lds account.

Thank you!

Return to “Android Gospel Library”