Submitting large number of receipts- separate payment request for each

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brittonstewart

Submitting large number of receipts- separate payment request for each

Post by brittonstewart »

A member of one of our organization presidencies just submitted a large number of receipts (~20) for YW camp. In the past I would have aggregated them all into a single expense, however since the member used the payment request feature in Tools, each receipt is it’s own expense. This is due to the fact that Tools only lets you upload one image per request, as far as I can tell.

Is there any downside to processing all of these separately? The member will get 20 EFTs. Is it possible the church pays some sort of fee per EFT, so we should try to combine multiple receipts into the same expense transaction? Just wondering if anyone knows the best practice in this situation…
Biggles

Re: Submitting large number of receipts- separate payment request for each

Post by Biggles »

If I was presented with this issue, I would download all the receipts and combine them in to one file. At some point delete all the payment requests and then draw up a claim form/s detailing the expenses and get that signed by the Bishop, before uploading them for approval and payment!
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Another (future) option is for the submitter to take pictures with multiple receipts included. Most cellphones now have camera resolution that is fine for multiple receipts, so 20 separate pics could likely be condensed into just a few pictures (and thus just a few payment requests).

Granted, a typical member is simply going to try and use the payment request feature, see that it only accepts a single image per request, and likely just take individual pictures of each receipt. So by the time a clerk sees them, it's too late unless they do the manual merging Biggles describes.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I've not seen any guidance indicating we should minimize the number of payments. It's possible the transaction costs are very low, especially if batched. Or maybe not. But personally I wouldn't go to extra work just on speculation. If you really want to know you could use the Contact Us option in LCR.

It is actually easier to verify that the total for the request matches the receipt if there is only one receipt per request so that is one advantage of leaving them as-is.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”