General Conference Talks Playlist

pballguru

General Conference Talks Playlist

Post by pballguru »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a stake president in Iowa and I've put together a list of 65 general conference/byu speeches/ces fireside talks tailored for the youth in my stake that I want to share with them. I have the links in a word document but a playlist that I could share with them would make it much more likely for them to listen to the talks. Do any of you know how to create a playlist of general conference talks from different sessions in the Gospel Library app, Gospel Living app, SaintsChannel app. I've even toyed with creating a podcast and loading the talks as episodes but I'm pretty sure the church wouldn't like me posting on an unofficial podcast. I thought about doing it in Apple Music but General Conference talks aren't on there. Any other ideas? Thanks!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: General Conference Talks Playlist

Post by sbradshaw »

You may be able to create a playlist in M3U format. Many (though not all) media apps can open and stream from an M3U playlist file.

Try pasting the following into a plain text file (using an app like Notepad or TextEdit), and save it to your desktop as "Test Playlist.m3u8". Then, double-click it to open it. If you're on a Mac, it will open in Apple Music by default. Other devices may use a different app, or require installing a third-party app.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Post by 8604 »

That’s a great idea. I don’t know how to make a lay list but am also I search of how to easily create a playlist with new and older Conference talks. Would you be willing to share the the lay list you have? [email address removed]

Thanks
Last edited by jdlessley on Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove email address that is viewable to the plublic worldwide
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

You may be able to create a playlist in M3U format
Thanks for providing that example! On my pc laptop, if I use the extension ".m3u" (instead of ".m3u8"), Windows Media Player opens the playlist and starts up.
I don’t know how to make a lay list but am also I search of how to easily create a playlist with new and older Conference talks
Just playing around, it seems that (at least on Windows), both the number after the #EXTINF hashtag (the running time in seconds), as well as the title after the number, do not make any difference with Windows Media Player. So as long as you have the url address for the mp3, you can manually create the playlist in a text editor.

However, I'm not aware of an easy way to get the mp3 address for GenConf talks. What I do is find the GenConf talk, go to the gear icons at the upper right, click "Download", right click the "This Page (MP3)" link, select "Copy Link Address", paste that into the text editor, and remove the "?download=true" text at the end of the url address. Not that user-friendly if you want to create a longer playlist!. Perhaps others on the Forum know an easier way to get mp3 urls from the Church website.
jimlaudie

Post by jimlaudie »

Just saw this. One idea that comes to mind is using tags in the GospelLibrary. So create a special tag for general conference playlist, you name it whatever. And then go to each of those talks, highlight the title, and tag it or something like that. Since like it might work? Good luck to you And let me know if you have found a better way. I’m doing the same thing just with these tags.

Return to “Mobile Applications”