Adding Closed Captioning Translation for Stake Account

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
wgotzmann

Adding Closed Captioning Translation for Stake Account

Post by wgotzmann »

There is a new feature in Zoom that would be very helpful to members of our stake

Closed captioning translation - this is an added cost

I contacted zoom and they provided me a Quote to do this but - the Church Account is different

Has anyone investigated this - and been able to add this new feature to at least the Stake Zoom Account
Attachments
Zoom Transaltion Capture.JPG
kenaycock

Re: Adding Closed Captioning Translation for Stake Account

Post by kenaycock »

Good timing! I found your thread from Google asking the same question.

I sent an inquiry to Zoom support and am waiting to hear back. The church would probably need to pay for the feature on the Enterprise account, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask (who knows, maybe Zoom will give us a free trial of the add-on).

Any luck on your end?

The other option is to use the Zoom feature supporting a live translator. But, I haven't figured that out yet. Automated translated captions would be slick.
Last edited by kenaycock on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markww

Post by markww »

I'm really interested in this functionality. Our stake did live translation in-person for a really long time, but a few years ago we switched translated captions using a bit of a hack I threw together in Microsoft PowerPoint. I've been waiting for the zoom functionality to do this natively. According to this zoom article,(https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... d-captions) it is now possible! We just need to have it enabled for our account. If we could just have the stake zoom account enabled that would be so helpful.
cordeirol

Post by cordeirol »

We have used human translator using ZOOM language audio channels. I would love to use auto captions with translation, but from my tests in my language, the auto caption is horrible for now.
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

I have enabled "Translated closed caption" within a few units and stake conference for the last year. I have found the english captions are very good 90-95% correct - this can help people who have hearing issues as well. This is used for the AI translation of the captions. Zooms uses "Wordly" third party add in

The translations accuracy to other languages varies - We use Spanish and Ukrainian with possible use of Chinese to come. The Spanish is reasonably good, Ukrainian less so - While not perfect it has helped a few people become more engaged in the meetings since they are new to the country. Google Translate work well but not continuously - which is what is required.

We do have a Spanish ward in our Stake which has provided Spanish interpretation within Zoom Broad casts - but this requires a lot of people to hand off's to keep this going. These people are not always available!

I added a PAID Zoom account to add the Translated Closed Caption as a trial this year. We believe it was worth the effort. The Stake conference was fed to two Zoom Broadcast - the Church provide account and the New account with Trans CC
These helped some people - but it requires reading continuously by people which does not always work - Some have turned to Google translate during Stake Conference which they say is more accurate. But this must be started every so often.

With all the advances in AI - I seriously believe the universal translator device is not that far in the future
My goal to to adapt some stand alone "Language translation devices" into Zoom. I am not sure if the church is looking into any options ? Does anyone know ?

Time Kettle X1 - looks to be a great option but there is a larger cost
Vasco V4 - is another option

I am thinking of testing out one of the units

Though's feed back please, I really believe that in a growing church with many people moving around this would help a lot of people
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

kenaycock wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:03 pm Good timing! I found your thread from Google asking the same question.

I sent an inquiry to Zoom support and am waiting to hear back. The church would probably need to pay for the feature on the Enterprise account, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask (who knows, maybe Zoom will give us a free trial of the add-on).

Any luck on your end?

The other option is to use the Zoom feature supporting a live translator. But, I haven't figured that out yet. Automated translated captions would be slick.
If you need help to try the Translated Caption I could help out
kenaycock

Post by kenaycock »

wgotzmann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:30 pmWith all the advances in AI - I seriously believe the universal translator device is not that far in the future
My goal to to adapt some stand alone "Language translation devices" into Zoom. I am not sure if the church is looking into any options ? Does anyone know ?
Totally agree.

If you haven't tried it, Microsoft Translator is pretty slick and supports transcription + translation in several languages. There are also both app and web versions.
Last edited by kenaycock on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

As a follow up to the discussion.
I have been investigating option for voice translation for some time now.

I took a risk and order a new device by Timekettle X1 - this was the only unit I could find that did continuous one way translation.

I have been testing this for a couple of weeks - with remarkable results !

The
Zoom Translation Feed iphone 2.0.pdf
(3.93 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
My tests used Zoom interpretation feature. This allows us to add "a device for each language" so people can choose how to listen in.

Individuals can use their own phone to listen to the main Zoom broadcast.
They can turn off the Video feed to reduce data use.

We can also set up a side room like relief society and have the Language piped in.

The translators which call in can be off site - to reduce data use with in the building.

Let me know what you think
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

kenaycock wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:06 pm
wgotzmann wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:30 pmWith all the advances in AI - I seriously believe the universal translator device is not that far in the future
Totally agree.

If you haven't tried it, Microsoft Translator is pretty slick and supports transcription + translation in several languages. There are also both app and web versions.
Thank you for the lead - I have been looking these option over, but they seem to be mostly "closed captions" and on you phone - Unless they can do much better than Zoom captions? - not sure of you experience

In general it still depends on the audio feed and clarity of the speakers. To fast or not clear hurt results

English to other languages seems to be quite good - not so good from all the dialects in Spanish etc.

See my other option next - the english capture is phenomenal! Timekettle devices
Thoughts
wgotzmann

Post by wgotzmann »

This is an example of the "Text capture" by the Timekettle X1 device while speaking to our Stake Presidency - This spoke the Spanish to the Two member which were fluent in both languages

"OK, so let's try again one more time. So I would like to see if we can be able to use this within our state conferences. And interpret what most of the speakers are saying within the meeting. "

"Bien, intentémoslo de nuevo una vez más. Así que me gustaría ver si podemos ser capaces de usar esto dentro de nuestras conferencias estatales.E interpretar lo que la mayoría de los oradores están diciendo dentro de la reunión. "

The unit captures the text and allow for export !

I have capture the same from youtube video with Neal A Maxwell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LAF2n9Aj0

=============================
Time: 2024-02-19 11:35:59
=============================
I'm glad to be at the same pulpit on the same program.
Me alegro de estar en el mismo púlpito en el mismo programa.

As Jeffrey Holland and Bruce Haven, two men whom I love and admire so very much.
Como Jeffrey Holland y Bruce Haven, dos hombres a quienes amo y admiro muchísimo.

Make this rank so low on the mortal scale of things and yet so high on gods.
Haz que este rango sea tan bajo en la escala mortal de las cosas y, sin embargo, tan alto en la de los dioses.

For none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart.
Porque nadie es acepto delante de Dios, excepto los mansos y humildes de corazón.

The rigorous requirements of Christian discipleship.
Los rigurosos requisitos del discipulado cristiano.

Cannot be met without the tutoring which is facilitated by meekness.
No se puede cumplir sin la tutoría que facilita la mansedumbre.

Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly.
Llevad mi yugo sobre vosotros y aprended de mí, que soy manso y humilde.

Jesus the Carpenter undoubtedly had personal experience making many yokes with Joseph.
Jesús el Carpintero sin duda tuvo experiencia personal haciendo muchos yugos con José.

And thus the Savior gave us that marvelous metaphor out of His own experience.
Y así el Salvador nos dio esa maravillosa metáfora basada en Su propia experiencia.

Unlike servitude to sin.
A diferencia de la servidumbre al pecado.

By wearing his yoke, we truly learn of the yoke master.
Al llevar su yugo, realmente aprendemos del maestro del yugo.

In what is an education for eternity as well As for mortality?
¿En qué consiste una educación tanto para la eternidad como para la mortalidad?

Neatness is needed, therefore, in order for us to be spiritually successful, whether in matters of the intellect, in the management of power, in the dissolution of personal pride.
Por lo tanto, la pulcritud es necesaria para que tengamos éxito espiritual, ya sea en asuntos del intelecto, en el manejo del poder o en la disolución del orgullo personal.

Already coping with the challenges and the routine of life.
Ya afrontando los desafíos y la rutina de la vida.

With meekness, living as a prophet urged in Thanksgiving daily is actually possible.
Con mansedumbre, vivir como un profeta insta diariamente en el Día de Acción de Gracias es realmente posible.

Even in life stirring seasons.
Incluso en las estaciones conmovedoras de la vida.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”