AP Connection Issue

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
kwillisjr

AP Connection Issue

Post by kwillisjr »

I have a building that has two access points in it. I have received numerous reports from members about the internet not working, yet when I check the network on CNM, everything is working fine. I went to the building to investigate onsite and could detect no issue with the wired internet connections. I did find the following issue with the wireless. The APs are on opposite ends of the building. My device connects to the closest AP when I log onto the network. The problem is that I can never get far enough away from the initial AP that it will release the device to connect to the next closest AP. The device is close enough to the first AP to stay connected to the network but far enough away that the signal is too weak to provide internet access. The only way I can get the first AP to release the device is to disconnect the device from the network and then reconnect it (turn Wi-Fi off and then back on). The device will then pick up the next closest AP. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever encountered anything like this and if you were able to effect a solution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: AP Connection Issue

Post by russellhltn »

Other than checking to make sure the APs are Meraki units, and perhaps playing with moving them to different locations, I don't think there's any options under your control.

As I understand it, while there might be tricks the network uses, it's untimely up to the customer's device to select the right AP. You might want to ask what device they're using and see if there's update or at least a pattern of what devices are affected.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”