Finding Lost Members Report

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Finding Lost Members Report

Post by jonesrk »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:25 pm Thanks for sharing that link! I've seen previous efforts where training info that was provided to a pilot project, didn't always trickle down to local units when the program went "live". Hopefully this time when it reaches each local Stake (per the video, Feb 1st is the "go" date), there will be accompanying training resources, but at least I know where to find this now ;)
Feb 1 is the "go" date for the Utah Area. I'm in the elders quorum presidency and received an email from the church with a link to the video, so they are communicating it for this release. I don't know when the other Areas are planning on it.
ChanJones

Post by ChanJones »

Hi this is a good start to fixing the lost members problem. But it could have a few more steps set up to help it go more smoothly and efficiently. As a member of the RS presidency, our members list is full of people who we know no longer live here. But because it takes so many steps to have them removed with so many reaching out steps, hardly anyone gets moved. It would be so nice to have a pre-lost members list. One that the RS & EQ presidencies could add the names to it in a quicker method. This would help us organize our ministering assignments. Show us more accurate quarterly reports. Stop us from buying extra bday gifts and have extra money spent. After those members are added to this quick pre list, still in our wards files, we can then go through them without trying to hunt them down in the ward directory over and over. This would already be gathered in one spot, easy to access it. It would be nice for the ward clerk to not be the only ones adding the moved away members. We would do some some of the gathering of information to help this move more smoothly. Actual results would be seen in RS and EQ. We could have our reports operating with real information, it would be so helpful. The number of steps you have set up to move a record is going to take a long time, to the point that it’ll take years to clean up.

I also wish there was a file created to move college kids who are not going to attend our ward for the next few years, except for the occasional few during summer breaks or Christmas breaks, that would be grouped there. Where we could easily add them back into the current rotation, but have them separate when needed.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Please remember that this is a user-to-user discussion forum. Nobody here has any influence on decisions for Church software development.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

ChanJones wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm I also wish there was a file created to move college kids who are not going to attend our ward for the next few years, except for the occasional few during summer breaks or Christmas breaks, that would be grouped there. Where we could easily add them back into the current rotation, but have them separate when needed.
If they're going to be attending another ward for 3 months or more their records should be moved to that ward.
MurdockM

Names not appearing on Finding Lost Members Report

Post by MurdockM »

Hi I'm a Ward Clerk (U.S.A Pacific NW),

The Full-Time elders gave me a list of people they found were no longer at the address listed in the Ward Directory.

I tried to get those names onto the "Finding Lost Members" list by moving them out, with a new address unknown.
However none of the first few names I tried subsequently appeared on the FLM list (after I clicked "continue"). (On screen, it did say their names would be "moved to the FLM list". However it did not appear to happen.)

So for the majority of the missionaries list I moved them out however clicked "save" to put things on hold until I see if those first few names start appearing on the FLM list.

I logged back into LCR some hours later from home and there are still no names on the FLM list. And those first few names are also no longer on our ward list, nor do they show up on the members moved out list.

Did they vanish into thin air??
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Names not appearing on Finding Lost Members Report

Post by rmrichesjr »

MurdockM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 pm ...

It's a long shot, but you might try incognito mode aka private window. If that brings the people back into view, it would be good to clear your browser's cache and delete Church-related cookies. The known cookie problem can cause symptoms about as strange as this.
mevans

Post by mevans »

MurdockM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 pm I tried to get those names onto the "Finding Lost Members" list by moving them out, with a new address unknown.
However none of the first few names I tried subsequently appeared on the FLM list (after I clicked "continue"). (On screen, it did say their names would be "moved to the FLM list". However it did not appear to happen.)

So for the majority of the missionaries list I moved them out however clicked "save" to put things on hold until I see if those first few names start appearing on the FLM list.

I logged back into LCR some hours later from home and there are still no names on the FLM list. And those first few names are also no longer on our ward list, nor do they show up on the members moved out list.

I moved someone to the Finding Lost Members list recently and had the same experience. I, too, wondered if the member had vanished. I was going to call the member service center to see what happened, but didn't have time to do so that day. The next day I found that the vanished member had reappeared and was on the Finding Lost Members report. I've previously moved out others to that list and they were instantly on the list. Maybe it's the cookie problem that the previous post mentioned. Or maybe something behind the scenes changed recently (there are some processes that get updated during overnight jobs, maybe this is now one of them?). Or maybe something's just broken.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

ChanJones wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 pm ...As a member of the RS presidency, our members list is full of people who we know no longer live here. But because it takes so many steps to have them removed with so many reaching out steps, hardly anyone gets moved....
I'm 'only' a Ward Clerk and so, it really IS a lot of steps when I have no idea who the people are or their history in the Ward. Plus I'm single and don't feel comfortable calling for example, an inactive single mother who does not know me and asking what her new address is.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

MurdockM wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:27 am I'm 'only' a Ward Clerk and so, it really IS a lot of steps when I have no idea who the people are or their history in the Ward. Plus I'm single and don't feel comfortable calling for example, an inactive single mother who does not know me and asking what her new address is.
My personal opinion:

This activity is the ward council's responsibility. As the ward clerk is a member of the ward council, it would be part of your responsibility, but you don't own it - the ward council does. Much of the effort can (and I think should) be delegated to ministering brothers and sisters (every family in the ward should be assigned to be ministered to anyway). I have not found the steps to be that difficult nor especially time consuming (per member). Remember the ward is not required to find them, just required to make "a good college try" to find them. If an effort is made for each step for each family (and the effort is unsuccessful), that's good enough and move on. In my experience, the full time missionaries assigned to our ward are very happy to take on some of the steps (your mileage may vary depending on their instructions from their mission president). Especially the step about talking to the neighbors where the family lived - this gives them an excuse to have some face time with non-members and introduce themselves.

I 100% agree that you would probably not be the best person to reach out to single sisters. The RS should be doing that (in my opinion). The ward council should not overthink this but counsel on the best way to tackle the list based on their understanding of the members on the list.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

MurdockM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 pm I tried to get names onto the "Finding Lost Members" list by moving them out, with new address unknown.
However none of the names subsequently appeared on the FLM list
The names have now appeared on the FLM list (over night). So, we are off and running.

/ The discussions on this forum are really helpful, thanks everyone.

PS: I am emailing a polite, "You may already know about this program..." "...thank you for helping me...", type message to both the EQ and RS president (cc: the Bishop) with a link to the program info.

https://utah.churchofjesuschrist.org/ja ... ang=eng-ut

(I don't know how much they already know, and I want to get us all on the same page.)

Return to “Membership Help”