Satellite broadcast schedule

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
ulupoi

Satellite broadcast schedule

Post by ulupoi »

Does anyone know where I can find a satellite broadcast schedule? I can't always tell if an upcoming broadcast will be available on the Church satellite system. For example, it has been announced that the latest Friend to Friend episode will be available for streaming beginning Nov. 5. Will it also be available by satellite, and if so, in what languages?

We still have a couple of satellite dishes in our stake. Satellite broadcasts have been more reliable than Internet streaming for us, and moreover, our satellite systems are set up to broadcast in multiple languages, so we prefer to use the satellite broadcast when available.

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Satellite broadcast schedule

Post by russellhltn »

Announcements can be found in the Official Communication Library. The announcement for Friend to Friend doesn't mention satellite. Last year on November 2nd, they published a "2022 Churchwide Broadcast Events Schedule" list. But there's no details.

At this point, I'd suggest having an internet backup plan. If the broadcast will take place over the satellite, I'd expect a "pre-roll" with countdown timer. So you should have a good idea if it's going to happen well before the actual broadcast.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ulupoi wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:51 pm Does anyone know where I can find a satellite broadcast schedule? I can't always tell if an upcoming broadcast will be available on the Church satellite system.
The letter announcing the November 5 Friend to Friend broadcast did not mention the satellite system. Events that are on the satellite usually include that information. The event was included in the annual list of broadcast events sent out last year.

There was a Notice dated November 2, 2021 that listed the broadcasts scheduled for 2022. It is available at the OCL. The notice said that information on how to watch, languages available, etc., would be shared prior to each event. It refers to the website events.churchofjesuschrist.org that also includes the schedule. Another site with information is at broadcasts.churchofjesuschrist.org but that site includes mostly the same information.

Sadly, information about broadcasts is increasingly difficult to find lately. I have not paid much attention since we no longer have any satellite dishes in our stake. We still have the receivers, but no way to collect the signal to drive them. Go figure. They did warn us.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:17 pm Events that are on the satellite usually include that information.
The question is, with many of the stations being taken out, is this just the "new normal"?

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be transmitted. The cost of doing so would seem to be minimal. The only reason I can think of for not doing it is that they don't expect anyone to be in the meetinghouse when it's first published. It's more of a "download and use at convenience" program.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:05 pm I'm not sure why it wouldn't be transmitted.
A number of recent programs have been prerecorded. It makes sense to release them for Internet streaming, but it does not always make sense to present them on the Church satellite system. There have also been a number of releases recently that were announced for a certain time on the Internet, but that were actually released earlier in the day before the announced time.

For those who still have systems, it would be nice to have some clear indication of whether the broadcast will be via satellite as well as Internet.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

lajackson wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:17 pm
russellhltn wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:05 pm I'm not sure why it wouldn't be transmitted.
A number of recent programs have been prerecorded. It makes sense to release them for Internet streaming, but it does not always make sense to present them on the Church satellite system. There have also been a number of releases recently that were announced for a certain time on the Internet, but that were actually released earlier in the day before the announced time.

For those who still have systems, it would be nice to have some clear indication of whether the broadcast will be via satellite as well as Internet.
It is my understanding that the Church no longer broadcasts via satellite to some areas of the world, particularly not to the United States.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:55 pm It is my understanding that the Church no longer broadcasts via satellite to some areas of the world, particularly not to the United States.
Not correct. But you needed a really good reason to keep it.

garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 pm
garystroble wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:55 pm It is my understanding that the Church no longer broadcasts via satellite to some areas of the world, particularly not to the United States.
Not correct. But you needed a really good reason to keep it.
There is a C-band reallocation to 5G cellular involved. Unless the Church transitions to Ku-band, C-band simply won't be available soon any longer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The C-band – which is between 3.7 and 4.2 GHz – is thought to be optimal for 5G. In February, the FCC adopted an order formalizing plans to auction the spectrum. Plans include moving satellite operators using the entire band to only the upper 200 MHz by December 5, 2025. That would free up the lower 280 MHz while leaving a 20MHz band between the two segments.
Satellite Operators Agree to Accelerate C-Band Relocation, Sets Stage for Historic 5G Auction

ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

A couple of our buildings were switched over to Ku-band satellite dishes due to our need for broadcasts in multiple languages.

Thank you for all of your replies. They must have a schedule of what they will be broadcasting on satellite. Could they make that schedule available to us? As for this Saturday's broadcast, maybe I should try calling the GSC...

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”