Satellite broadcast schedule

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
garystroble

Re: Satellite broadcast schedule

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:29 pm
The C-band – which is between 3.7 and 4.2 GHz – is thought to be optimal for 5G. In February, the FCC adopted an order formalizing plans to auction the spectrum. Plans include moving satellite operators using the entire band to only the upper 200 MHz by December 5, 2025. That would free up the lower 280 MHz while leaving a 20MHz band between the two segments.
Satellite Operators Agree to Accelerate C-Band Relocation, Sets Stage for Historic 5G Auction
In the rapidly changing world of technology, not sure this article from June 2020 is the latest take on the situation.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

This link might help for the original question. It appears that satellite broadcast information is updated a few weeks prior to an event, if applicable. The Primary Friend to Friend broadcast coming up November 5 does not show anything about satellite broadcasting of the event currently.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ide-events
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:58 am In the rapidly changing world of technology, not sure this article from June 2020 is the latest take on the situation.
Feel free to find something newer. But this is a "speed of regulation" issue, not "speed of technology". It would be quite a change to completely shut down C-band satellite.

The church may have switched to Ku. The receivers can do both. It's the downconverter in the feedhorn that determines what band is being received. I'm not sure how to definitively tell what's in use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:16 am
garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:58 am In the rapidly changing world of technology, not sure this article from June 2020 is the latest take on the situation.
Feel free to find something newer. But this is a "speed of regulation" issue, not "speed of technology". It would be quite a change to completely shut down C-band satellite.

The church may have switched to Ku. The receivers can do both. It's the downconverter in the feedhorn that determines what band is being received. I'm not sure how to definitively tell what's in use.
Besides the new Ku-band LNB and feedhorn, the coaxial cable feedline should also be replaced. Unfortunately, using an older solid dish which may have some warping that does not bother C-band reception for Ku may result in a poor signal, as the shorter wavelength of Ku requires a much more precise reflector surface. A mesh C-band dish will probably not work on Ku-band as the holes will be the wrong size.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:27 am Besides the new Ku-band LNB and feedhorn, the coaxial cable feedline should also be replaced.
I'm curious about the coax. That may be a good idea for preventative maintenance, but I thought the LNB down converts everything to around the same frequency block regardless of the received band.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:39 pm
garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:27 am Besides the new Ku-band LNB and feedhorn, the coaxial cable feedline should also be replaced.
I'm curious about the coax. That may be a good idea for preventative maintenance, but I thought the LNB down converts everything to around the same frequency block regardless of the received band.
Same reason you replace your hoses with a new washing machine. Coax deteriorates in the sun etc. and it is a good opportunity to have a new outside run.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Hey, I just called the GSC and the rep said that the Friend to Friend episode this Saturday will also be broadcast via satellite in English, Spanish, Portuguese and some other languages that I can't remember. I asked if the satellite broadcast schedule was available anywhere, and the rep told me that it was not publicly available, but she also said that I can always call and ask. I got right through to the rep without waiting, so I'll just keep calling to ask about future broadcasts. Thanks, everyone, for your interesting comments.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

ulupoi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:10 pm Hey, I just called the GSC and the rep said that the Friend to Friend episode this Saturday will also be broadcast via satellite in English, Spanish, Portuguese and some other languages that I can't remember. I asked if the satellite broadcast schedule was available anywhere, and the rep told me that it was not publicly available, but she also said that I can always call and ask. I got right through to the rep without waiting, so I'll just keep calling to ask about future broadcasts. Thanks, everyone, for your interesting comments.
I'll be frank, that is a bizarre way to run a railroad, or a satellite schedule.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:31 pm
ulupoi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:10 pm Hey, I just called the GSC and the rep said that the Friend to Friend episode this Saturday will also be broadcast via satellite in English, Spanish, Portuguese and some other languages that I can't remember. I asked if the satellite broadcast schedule was available anywhere, and the rep told me that it was not publicly available, but she also said that I can always call and ask. I got right through to the rep without waiting, so I'll just keep calling to ask about future broadcasts. Thanks, everyone, for your interesting comments.
I'll be frank, that is a bizarre way to run a railroad, or a satellite schedule.
I can't argue with that. Maybe they want the freedom to keep the schedule flexible for programming between major events.

Still, it would be helpful if they would announce whether major events, like this Friend to Friend episode, will be broadcast by satellite and in what languages for those of us who still have satellite dishes. For us, showing a broadcast using our satellite setup is as easy as flipping a few switches and passing out translation headsets. Otherwise, we have to set up devices to stream the broadcast over the Internet in 2-3 languages and try to sync them to start at the same time with some devices connected to translation transmitters so that multi-language families can sit together. That's not that hard, but easier is better.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:31 pm I'll be frank, that is a bizarre way to run a railroad, or a satellite schedule.
Agree. I can only guess that they are trying to avoid blowback from people who just had their satellite system uninstalled. Or for that matter, those who still have the receivers but they have been turned off.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”