2023 Budget Preparation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
garystroble

Re: 2023 Budget Preparation

Post by garystroble »

cbailey208 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:52 pm
garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:36 pm There is a long and detailed message posted today under finance in LCR on the church web page regarding 2023 budget preparation and budgets in general. Am not posting it here as those with a calling involving finance can see it in LCR.
I read this message the day it came out while I was sitting in my car. Now that I'm working on the budget I can no longer find the message.
Not sure where you are looking, but it is there still. LCR>finance>dashboard.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cbailey208 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:52 pm
garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:36 pm There is a long and detailed message posted today under finance in LCR on the church web page regarding 2023 budget preparation and budgets in general. Am not posting it here as those with a calling involving finance can see it in LCR.
I read this message the day it came out while I was sitting in my car. Now that I'm working on the budget I can no longer find the message.
If you dismissed the message by clicking the X in the message box, the message can be brought back by doing a browser hard refresh for the Finance page or by deleting the cookies and site data.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lospugs

Post by lospugs »

I have it in my LCR home page when I click "Official Communications"

As a side question here for budget preparation:
Can someone point to the direction that is the "Additional Allowance" and "Allocation Adjustments" categories? I'm trying to help a Bishop (I'm at the stake level) try to figure out his 2023 budget, and he's not sure how to add up the 50% rollover, whether or not it should include the line items in those budget categories or not. I've gone through the handbook and searched the Internet and haven't found anything specific there.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lospugs wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:47 pm Can someone point to the direction that is the "Additional Allowance" and "Allocation Adjustments" categories? I'm trying to help a Bishop (I'm at the stake level) try to figure out his 2023 budget, and he's not sure how to add up the 50% rollover, whether or not it should include the line items in those budget categories or not. I've gone through the handbook and searched the Internet and haven't found anything specific there.
"Allocation Adjustments" are transfers that have been made into or out of the Budget Allocations category. If a unit had any money left in an AFMA account when they were discontinued they would show up here. Or if the stake transferred additional budget to a ward or branch that would show up here.

I'm not entirely sure about "Additional Allowance" but it is an editable field. I assume it can be used to enter any expected additional allowance that the stake may intend to provide to a unit. In my experience that is rare.

As for how to calculate the 50%, I believe it should be based on the total of the estimated 4 standard allocations plus anything the stake plans to transfer directly (if any).
lospugs

Post by lospugs »

Thank you for the quick reply. I was doing all sorts of math trying to reverse engineer the allocation adjustments and wasn't finding anything there. I thought I probably figured out the additional allowance field, and my thoughts were directly in line with what you said so that helps as well.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lospugs wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:47 pm I'm trying to help a Bishop (I'm at the stake level) try to figure out his 2023 budget, and he's not sure how to add up the 50% rollover, whether or not it should include the line items in those budget categories or not. I've gone through the handbook and searched the Internet and haven't found anything specific there.
The ward budget does not rollover to ward budget categories. Instead the total remaining ward budget, regardless of the remaining allocated amounts in the individual categories for 2022, rolls over to the 'Balance Forward' for the 2023 year. The stake has the ability to limit the rollover amount; and it appears your stake has determined units will retain 50% of that rollover.

The rollover available for 2023 will be the 2022 'Budget Balance' as shown in the Budget > Budget Summary tab less any outstanding expenses expected between now and the end of the year. The challenge is getting a handle on the expected expenses that have yet to be turned in and processed before the end of the year.

An estimate of the rollover can be entered into the 2023 'Balance Forward' line. Once the 2023 year begins then the rollover will appear on the 'Balance Forward' line as the actual amount. The estimate/actual 'Balance Forward' amount can be allocated to the unit categories in any manner the bishop determines. The rollover, or 'Balance Forward', will be added to the four quarterly estimate/actual amounts and the Additional Allowance amount, if any provided by the stake, in a total as the 'Annual Budget Estimated/Actual' amount. The 'Annual Budget Estimated/Actual' amount is the amount used in making allocations to the unit and organization categories.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:33 pm The ward budget does not rollover to ward budget categories. Instead the total remaining ward budget, regardless of the remaining allocated amounts in the individual categories for 2022, rolls over to the 'Balance Forward' for the 2023 year. The stake has the ability to limit the rollover amount; and it appears your stake has determined units will retain 50% of that rollover.
I think rather that lospugs' stake is limiting the rollover to 50% of the annual budget in accordance with the guidance given in the recent LCR message and official letter that anything over 50% of the annual budget is excessive rollover and should be returned to the church headquarters.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:44 pm I think rather that lospugs' stake is limiting the rollover to 50% of the annual budget in accordance with the guidance given in the recent LCR message and official letter that anything over 50% of the annual budget is excessive rollover and should be returned to the church headquarters.
Which quickly raises the question of how the "annual budget" figure is determined. Is the threshold 50% of last year's funding? What if the ward split?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:53 pm
eblood66 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:44 pm I think rather that lospugs' stake is limiting the rollover to 50% of the annual budget in accordance with the guidance given in the recent LCR message and official letter that anything over 50% of the annual budget is excessive rollover and should be returned to the church headquarters.
Which quickly raises the question of how the "annual budget" figure is determined. Is the threshold 50% of last year's funding? What if the ward split?
The letter just says 'annual budget allocation'. I expect stakes and wards are supposed to use inspired judgement in unusual circumstances. There hasn't been any indication that this will be enforced in any automated fashion.
rulismarquez

Post by rulismarquez »

My ward spent more than we were assigned as ward budget. So, the stake president helped us with extra funds using "Allocation adjustments". That helped us get back to positive numbers, to finish the last two months with funds for activities, and allowed us to actually have a ward Christmas dinner.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”