2023 Budget Preparation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
garystroble

2023 Budget Preparation

Post by garystroble »

There is a long and detailed message posted today under finance in LCR on the church web page regarding 2023 budget preparation and budgets in general. Am not posting it here as those with a calling involving finance can see it in LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 2023 Budget Preparation

Post by russellhltn »

Out of curiosity, did it address the handing of things like Youth camps that used to be handled in "Other"?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:19 pm Out of curiosity, did it address the handing of things like Youth camps that used to be handled in "Other"?
No, although without quoting the message it deals mostly with excess budget funds at year end and what to do about them, so in a very round about way one could say it does.
caillines

Post by caillines »

We can't see anything like that at the stake level here (we just have a quick 2-liner about AMFA being discontinued). Is this a ward level targeted thing?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

caillines wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:20 pm We can't see anything like that at the stake level here (we just have a quick 2-liner about AMFA being discontinued). Is this a ward level targeted thing?
It talks about both stakes and wards. There is a deadline for stakes to comply this year. The memo is visible on the financial dashboard. Hopefully the church employee who set up the addressable call-up of the memo did it correctly.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

caillines wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:20 pm We can't see anything like that at the stake level here (we just have a quick 2-liner about AMFA being discontinued). Is this a ward level targeted thing?
It's showing up at the stake level for me. Since it primarily deals with excess budget funds, perhaps it only shows up for units (or for stakes with units) that have more than a certain percentage of their yearly budget allocation unused?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

eblood66 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:47 pm
It's showing up at the stake level for me. Since it primarily deals with excess budget funds, perhaps it only shows up for units (or for stakes with units) that have more than a certain percentage of their yearly budget allocation unused?
Extremely unlikely. That would only teach the correct principles to some units, leaving others in the dark. It would also assume that budget funds are static, and if wards return funds to the stake obviously that would not be correct.

I don't believe based on other results coming out of the IT department that business rules are being written with as much detail or variety as surmised.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

garystroble wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:37 am
eblood66 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:47 pm Since it primarily deals with excess budget funds, perhaps it only shows up for units (or for stakes with units) that have more than a certain percentage of their yearly budget allocation unused?
Extremely unlikely. That would only teach the correct principles to some units, leaving others in the dark. It would also assume that budget funds are static, and if wards return funds to the stake obviously that would not be correct.
Good point. Mostly just grasping at straws about why it wouldn't show up for a stake.
caillines

Post by caillines »

hmmm. I wonder if it's USA only.
Who knows. Maybe we'll get it eventually.
cbailey208

Post by cbailey208 »

garystroble wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:36 pm There is a long and detailed message posted today under finance in LCR on the church web page regarding 2023 budget preparation and budgets in general. Am not posting it here as those with a calling involving finance can see it in LCR.
I read this message the day it came out while I was sitting in my car. Now that I'm working on the budget I can no longer find the message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”