Calendar 4.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
EmilyEllingson

Re: Calendar 4.0 released

Post by EmilyEllingson »

How do I sync the church calendar with my google calendar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EmilyEllingson wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:05 am How do I sync the church calendar with my google calendar?
Currently, you can't. There's no timeline for when it will be returning.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

So this is a big enough deal that we really should get some kind of update from the church. Don't talk to me about this being a user to user forum, church dev come on this forum from time to time and moderators talk to them - Can we get an update from someone, somewhere, somehow. does anyone know what department owns 'calendar' and when it will be there turn in the rotation to have something developed?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
peparsons

Post by peparsons »

johnshaw wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 am So this is a big enough deal that we really should get some kind of update from the church. Don't talk to me about this being a user to user forum, church dev come on this forum from time to time and moderators talk to them - Can we get an update from someone, somewhere, somehow. does anyone know what department owns 'calendar' and when it will be there turn in the rotation to have something developed?
As stake exec sec, I'm regularly being asked why the calendar is so empty. After a discussion, we agree it's because I had added some dates for 2023 when sync'ing was working, but now it isn't nothing is being added to them. It's a facility which a lot of people relied on. So I agree that some sort of update would be really useful. The Member Tools app is OK, but it only sees 2 months into the future. To get a proper view of the calendar without using a "proper computer" we need sync'ing to work.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'm at least six-degrees-removed from any personal awareness about anything the Church does. While sometimes "shaking the tree" on the Forum appears to produce results, from what I've seen over the years it's not generally effective. My experience is that when issues like this occur (there have been others before and will assuredly be others to come), it's advisable to "hope for the best, and plan for the worst". In this case, considering the calendar to be unlikely to change for the foreseeable future, and implementing workarounds that are appropriate for our local units. Yes, that's a ton of extra effort for us; yes, there should be better communication; yes, there will be impacts we don't want; and yes, it shouldn't be required of local members and leaders. And there's a possibility that we get 80% of the way into implementing a workaround, and the calendar fixes magically appear and make all that effort unnecessary.

I'm not suggesting that pushing for this via the Forum shouldn't happen, but hopefully you're not pinning all your hopes on this type of feedback generating the response you are looking for. Perhaps from an Area perspective, if enough Stake Presidents hear about the degree of impact this is having on their Bishops and Stake Clerks, and they in turn are vocal about this to their Area Presidencies, that will generate a response that may not be possible via Forum interactions.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Wards and Stakes just plain don't have the time or ability to recreate an enterprise calendaring solution, that is as top notch as this one is. Of any of the developed solutions the church implemented this one was always the most impressive and it's a shame that years of great work are going to be destroyed by having it in this state, particularly as the new year changed up tons of planning and scheduling as wards moved nights for mutual activities, etc... I don't think it'll recover at this point, which is unfortunate.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

peparsons wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:24 am The Member Tools app is OK, but it only sees 2 months into the future.
That is the default setting. In Member Tools, go to Settings. Under Calendar there is an option called Months to Show. Set it for 12 months and you will see almost the whole year ahead. You can choose 6 months if you do not want the whole year. The default is 3 months, which shows the past month and two months ahead.

The calendar months to show setting usually sticks with an update, but occasionally it reverts to the shorter time and you would then have to reset it.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

"If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive." - Dale Carnegie
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

garystroble wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm "If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive." - Dale Carnegie

Sometimes we need Entrepreneurs
Sometimes we need to 'Keep the Lights On'
Sometimes we need Revolutionaries
Last edited by johnshaw on Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

johnshaw wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:00 pm
garystroble wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:10 pm "If you want to gather honey, don't kick over the beehive." - Dale Carnegie
But you repeat yourself. It's in your tag line.

The quote continues, "But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.”

Return to “Calendar”