Calendar 4.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
margiestroble

Re: Calendar 4.0 released

Post by margiestroble »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:12 pm
The way things used to work, everyone could see all events in the location calendar, but if they didn't have rights to the event, they'd only see minimal information. 4.0 may be blocking it from view instead.
That sounds about right, the scheduled events are being blocked and we can't see them. Most of us can only see the Stake Scheduled Events and our Ward Scheduled Events. We can't see other Unit's Scheduled Events, so therefore, it makes it extremely difficult to schedule anything unless we play the Battleship Game as you mentioned the other day.

I clicked on the Blue Floating Feedback Button and filled the form out with what we've been discussing about not being able to see other Unit's Scheduled Events for scheduling purposes. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Feedback. Having a location issue and went to feedback and there is now this message at the top. I hadn't noticed before:
"A new version of the calendar application was released on Tuesday, November 15th. Some users were initially unable to access the calendar. We believe those issues have now been resolved. If not, please let us know.

Some features are still limited. If you need to update building locations or administrator permissions, please use this feedback form to submit your request and we will make the changes for you while we finish building these features."
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Yay! The calendar is now showing all of the other unit's events on the calendar! Thank you so much to whoever fixed it! I look forward to some of the other things to be fixed or updated and get it back to what we are used to seeing and being able to work efficiently with doing our building scheduling.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

casper684 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:25 pm Feedback. Having a location issue and went to feedback and there is now this message at the top. I hadn't noticed before:
"A new version of the calendar application was released on Tuesday, November 15th. Some users were initially unable to access the calendar. We believe those issues have now been resolved. If not, please let us know.

Some features are still limited. If you need to update building locations or administrator permissions, please use this feedback form to submit your request and we will make the changes for you while we finish building these features."
I noticed that a few days ago when I submitted Feedback via the Blue Floating Feedback Button. I submitted feedback about not being able to see other unit's events on the calendar and just being able to see the Stake events and our Ward events. Tonight, it's fixed and I can see all of the unit's events again! Yay!

So, tonight, I submitted more Feedback (I did them separately)
1) About what others have mentioned about not having the little icon to take us back to that day's date if we are ahead in the calendar, which is a nice feature.
2) About the current day's date on the calendar not being highlighted and that we'd like to have that back.
3) About not being able to click on a date box on the calendar to be able to schedule an event and that we now have to click on the "+ Add Event" button. I just said it would be nice to be able to just click on the date box again like we used to.

Hopefully these will get fixed too.

If there is anything else anyone is noticing that we don't have with the new calendar that we did with the old one, please click on the Blue Floating Feedback Button, which was on the right hand side and now it's at the bottom of the page, and fill out the form and tell them what you would like to see! Maybe do them separately so it doesn't get mixed up or forgotten about.

I also submitted another Feedback and thanked them for fixing the calendar so we could see all of the unit's events that were scheduled!
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Wondering if feedback submissions are distributed for resolution based on the area selected on the calendar?
I did a feedback that the gear was missing and I had a location issue. I then did another one selecting the location I needed deleted. Hated to do 2 feedbacks on same issue but rather urgent one.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

casper684 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:42 pm Wondering if feedback submissions are distributed for resolution based on the area selected on the calendar?
I did a feedback that the gear was missing and I had a location issue. I then did another one selecting the location I needed deleted. Hated to do 2 feedbacks on same issue but rather urgent one.
I was wondering that as well because they were asking to click on that part of the calendar you were submitting feedback for, so it probably does.

I hope they will get them fixed soon! Thanks for submitting the feedback.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:59 pm
casper684 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:25 pm 3) About not being able to click on a date box on the calendar to be able to schedule an event and that we now have to click on the "+ Add Event" button. I just said it would be nice to be able to just click on the date box again like we used to.
There's a lot of things I'd prioritize ahead of that.

Frankly, it can also be an annoying feature. I frequently have multiple windows open and I sometimes click on something just to shift focus to that window. I don't want to be triggering something.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marcogaertner

Post by marcogaertner »

The calendar was released yesterday, and a emergency bug fix was pushed out just now. So everyone should be able to get in. (I can get in where I couldn't before.)

At this point, the calendar is quite limited. Apparently there were security issues with the old calendar that required switching to this one before it was fully ready.

Noticeable absent: adding/modifying restrictions, creating/modifying calendars (including rights), iCal sync files. Features will be coming, but no timeline as of yet.
Russell, thanks for the note. Is it possible to forward this feedback? I am curious if I am the only one that feels this way?

---
Dear development department, I work so hard for people to rely on church features. I imagine I am not the only one. This type of move undoes a lot of our work for a long time. This release has bad timing (most stakes are finalizing 2023 calendaring), almost no communication, not enough testing, and a big-bang approach. Release 4.0 is obviously not ready, so please consider rolling back to previous version, mitigate security issue with stop-gap measures, and communicate the path forward. I would love to help -- I run a software development company and offer my (and my team's) free help.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

"I imagine I am not the only one. This type of move undoes a lot of our work for a long time. This release has bad timing (most stakes are finalizing 2023 calendaring), almost no communication, not enough testing, and a big-bang approach. Release 4.0 is obviously not ready, so please consider rolling back to previous version, mitigate security issue with stop-gap measures, and communicate the path forward."

I totally agree with this post by marcogaertner! I have been a stake clerk for over 14 years and have been using the church's online calendaring system since it first began (like over 10 years ago) and this recent update to 4.0 release is the worst version of the calendar that I believe I have seen. It basically makes the calendar system unusable! It is missing so many features (as mentioned by many on this thread). At least allow us to see more than 2 events on a day!

I have spent many many hours working on the 2023 calendar and spending many extra hours working around the previous versions big bug involving the Daylight Savings time (requiring us to schedule before Daylight Savings, then during Daylight Savings, and then after Daylight Savings). And now this new version just undid much of what was done during Daylight Savings time, thus requiring me to fix everything during that time! Just adding many more hours working on something that I thought was done!
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Any building schedulers having issue of not being able to edit an entry that is made on a building you oversee? As building scheduler do not have access to ward calendars (nor want) but have always been able to edit an entry. Now when I try to edit and entry I get stuck on the "select calendar". It refuses to let me continue. I did send feedback but no response.

Return to “Calendar”